Sunday, December 09, 2007

The proof is in the pudding...or the Pad Thai

I finally have some proof of my friendships here in Seattle! Edwin & Veronica have been a HUGE part of my life (and my GETTING a life) here in Seattle. They are my next door neighbors in the condo building, who without hesitation, reached out to me and invited me to their church. Then, being the socialites they are, they introduced me to EVERYONE at the church, including a community group leader who, just as quickly as E&V had invited me to the church, invited me to attend his community group. So, I did. Two months later, I have finally taken some pictures of these fantastic people that God has brought into my life and astounded me with the blessing of authentic friendship. E&V had a Christmas party, featuring Thai food, last night so I took the opportunity to actually use the camera that's been shelved since September. Enjoy!

Me & Josephine...I already told you a bit about Josephine in a recent post, but I can't get over the instant click we've had...people have asked us how long we've been friends b/c it really does seem like quite awhile when you're around us. :)

Me & Jonathan, my fearless community group leader. I already said a bit about him in a previous post as well, but again, can't get over the blessing he's been in my life in such a short time. We've both realized we connect in a way that we don't with many people that we've known for years and years. Isn't it a gift when that happens?

Josephine is allergic to alcohol so she had cranberry juice instead...but looks like wine, doesn't it?


Me & Annie--I HEART Annie! She has one of the sweetest spirits ever. She has a heart of service and is always ready to give any way she can. I got to spend 3 evenings with her this week, and was so blessed each time. Annie's love for Jesus leaves me speechless...she is so authentic in her faith and constantly inspires me!


This is our first attempt at a group picture...we did some karaoke and couldn't get Jonathan to release the microphone. Can you tell he's a middle child and needs attention? ;)


Our second attempt was much better...so L-R, we are Jonathan, me, Jason, Brian, Annie, Josephine, Veronica and Edwin

E&V's favorite thing to do when they have guests is karaoke. It took awhile to get the rest of us going, so they started us out...I'm pretty sure this was "Lost In Your Eyes" by none other than my 7th grade hero, Debbie Gibson


Me & Veronica...to brag on her for a bit, Veronica has reached out to me more than just about anyone ever has in my life. Veronica is one of the most loving and caring people in the world, constantly looking for ways to serve those around her. She's also ever cheerful! :)


Edwin was our chef for the evening...here he is cooking up some Pad Thai and peanut sauce (I can't remember what that dish was called). It was YUMMY. Edwin has been such a joy for me; I know anytime I'm with him, there will be a good laugh and that is always needed! Edwin also has the gift of encouragement...he is constantly affirming others and letting them know how they have impacted him...words we all need to hear!


So the ladies got a wee bit silly, posing for the camera...


And then after that, we got a wee bit sillier...


And then finally we got serious...


After a bit, Brian & Annie were ready to take on the karaoke...here they are singing "Summer Nights" from Grease (with the guys helping--"wella wella wella uh" and the girls helping--"tell me more, tell me more"); Brian is Annie's husband, in case that wasn't clear yet, and I hadn't really gotten to talk much with him until this week. Amazing what can happen when you talk with someone--we found out we have very similar experiences in our struggles with faith and the church. It was really encouraging for me to talk with him and hear about someone else sharing my struggles, makes me seem more "normal" (okay, we all know that I'm anything but normal, but whatever)


And yet more karoke, this was the scene for awhile...Jonathan didn't need a microphone (he's quite loud on his own) and Annie & I were feeding off each other's energy quite nicely. This could be any song from "Footloose" to "I Will Survive" or even "Bohemian Rhapsody"


We got out our crafty side and made snowflakes at the end of the evening...what's Christmas without snow (says the girl from South Texas, where it is currently 80 degrees)?


And here you have it, the Snowflake Class of 2007

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

How fun!

I'll refrain from posting my usual 'I'm so jealous', but you know I am. Good grief - you've made more friends than we have in 3 years! What incredible blessings. And I am jealous of them for being able to hang out with you!

Uyen said...

I like how you're hanging out with a bunch of Asians :). We are the best you know.