Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I am writer. Hear me roar.

I began writing in a notebook as a collection, and found this piece that I had written as a preface.

"This is a collection of my writings. I write because I enjoy it. It is my creative outlet. I have thought of pursuing a career in writing, contemplating seriously enough to track down MFA Creative Writing programs with a nonfiction track. Those programs are precious finds (the nonfiction track part is difficult to locate) and so tempting that I very nearly picked up and moved to New England, Boston to be exact.

Being a writer, living in the Northeast, most likely in a log cabin in Vermont. It is a foggy dream of mine, one that is most likely better left as a dream. Perhaps when I retire, though I am not yet thirty so this is a distant idea, I will go. I will leave all material possessions and simply write.

In the meantime, I intend to still write. I love to take my personal experiences and turn them into colorful, witty pieces that make my and the reader's day better.

I picked up a book called Your Life as Story. The author seemed to understand exactly what kind of writing I enjoy, which seems to be a rare type. It's not fiction, or poetry, or journalism. It is the genre best described as "my life as story."

I find that in person, verbally, I am not quite as witty and entertaining as I am on paper. In written form, people understand me and I understand myself. I am optimistic, finding the humor and lesson in even the most painful experience. I am emotional, more able to connect to the heart. And I am the life of the party, able to captivate. Even the men love me on paper.

I am writer. Hear me roar."

1 comment:

Senegal Daily said...

I love it.

- your unofficial editor