Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Christmas in Texas

Left Seattle yesterday morning and sat next to a nice man from India on my flight to Dallas. I always want, but rarely get the nerve, to strike up a conversation with the person sitting next to me on the plane. I'm afraid of invading their precious personal time away from the pressures of their everyday lives and that they would prefer to stare dreamily out the window, read their Dean Koontz novel, or snore loudly than talk to me. However, India Guy seemed happy to chat and we had a lovely conversation that made the 4 hour flight fly by (no pun intended).

My flight from Dallas to Corpus Christi put me in reflective mode as I thought about all the loved ones that I hadn't seen in 3 or more months and would soon be joyfully reunited with.

Six dear friends greeted me at the airport, which was a wonderful surprise. Esther started waving her arms around, so I figured I'd go for the dramatic and ran towards the group with arms wide open. It was great fun.

The first question, of course, was "What happened to your head?" I can see I will be retelling that story at least 10 times a day for awhile.

Arrived at the O'Callaghans house, where I have taken up residence in their lovely loft. Big hugs all around.

Jet-lagged and excited to be home, sleep did not come easily or peacefully.

This morning, Katy & I had our traditional breakfast at My Favorite Muffin. How I've missed this amazing woman who has taught me so much about God, life, love, marriage, friendship and everything else.

Lunched with Daddy. Had a fantastic conversation that God orchestrated, and then fell into a blissful afternoon nap.

Had much needed girl time with Chrissy in the comfort of the Espina's house, one of my second homes.

Celebrated Uncle John's birthday with orange cake (gross) and Grandma trying her hardest to work her camera...I thought it was entirely possible we would be waiting for her to take the picture until NEXT Christmas. Bless her heart.

Went bowling with Nick, Chrissy & Nicole. It was Team Crick (that's Chrissy & Nick) vs. Team Pegole (Peggy & Nicole), which turned out to be a quite even competition. We had decided that whichever team ended up losing the first game would have to: a) wear their bowling shoes sans socks (EWWWW), 2) wear the left shoe on the right foot and the right shoe on the left foot, and d) tie the shoes together. Team Pegole won--MWAH HA HA.

Oh and it was 78 degrees and sunny today.

It's good to be home.

No comments: