Tuesday, June 27, 2006

You know you're traveling in Oklahoma when...

I just spent approximately 11 hours driving in Oklahoma this past weekend. Just as when I traveled in Texas, Oklahoma had its own distinct brand of traveling tales so you knew exactly where you were.

1. You pay $3.50 to drive on the interstate...not a turnpike, the plain old interstate. (No, we had no cash...we had debit cards. Refer to my "Where's your debit card, lady?" post from earlier in June.)Who has tolls on interstates?
2. You drive and drive for hours according to the Yahoo directions. Then, you think you might have made a wrong turn so you stop at Dairy Queen and ask a shady looking guy in cutoffs what his thoughts are on your situation. After looking you up & down, and finding out your final destination, he says, "Why the hell are you going this way?" Thank you, sir, for your help.
3. You tune in only country...unlike Texas, you don't even have the option of Tejano. It's just country.
4. People are mean. Customer service is non-existent. What's with these Okies?
5. Everyone stares at you for using a cell phone. Seriously, same Dairy Queen as the directions guy...have they never seen one?
6. You ask for the next big town and they tell you "Okmulgee." Is that Oklahoma-nese or what? Turns out Okmulgee WAS big...it had Dairy Queen AND Taco Bell. Score.

5 comments:

Rick Boyne said...

Pegs, I am so sorry you had a bad experience in the "Promised Land. If you've got an out of state plate, espeically one from texas, then you might run into a few folks who might look at you suspiciously (mostly because we have all lived in the shadow of Texas for all our lives). We fondly refer to texas as "Baja Oklahoma!"

Anyway, I am sorry you ran into "mean" Okies.

Nicole said...

I have friends from Oklahoma. Ok, let me re-phrase, I know people from Oklahoma. They are weird folks. Is this a trend or maybe all nice Oklahomans live in a different part of the state?

Great post, Peggy!

Senegal Daily said...

Nice, Pegs.

I won't even make a comment about how blessed I would be to find a town nearby with BOTH a DQ and Taco Bell.

Instead, I will empathize with you, as I've been to Oklahoma (Lawton, no less) and feel your pain.

Abby said...

Hey Miss Pegs -

I feel your Okie pain. My ex-fiancee is from OK and for all I care, he can stay there. With the rest of the weirdos.

:-)

Tina and Cullen said...

I don't know you, but I linked to your blog from Rebecca's page. I thought your post about Oklahoma was hilarious. I drove from Memphis, TN to Colorado in December... if you think OK is bad, you should try driving through Kansas - now known to me as the most BORING state in the country. -Tina