Saturday, June 17, 2006

Pegs vs. The Serpent

So I decided to go running the other day. I hadn't gone since leaving Corpus and it was starting to make me crazy. So off I went, down Colorado Blvd where I live and then to follow the sidewalk, I took Brinker Road. Brinker is kind of half-developed, with a new apartment complex on one side and the Sally Beauty Supply headquarters on the other, with nothing else but long grass.

As I ran, I noticed a snakeskin on the side of the road. It was a big snakeskin, and I was pretty sure that if a snakeskin was there, that meant a snake must have been there, and probably not too long before.

So I'm running again a couple of days later, and in front of me a little ways on Brinker, I see this thing in the middle of the sidewalk. It was dark and looked snake-like. Now, God had protected me for 2 years in West Africa. I was the only one on a team of 13 to not see a snake, because God knows I just cannot do snakes at all.

I wasn't taking any chances that it was in fact a snake, and being that I was running, I had no choice but to yell, "Oh HELL no!" and turn around and run as fast as possible back towards my house. I kept checking behind me to see if the snake was chasing me. It wasn't. Thank God.

A day or two later, I decided to see if it was still there...so I drove by, and there it was. A nice, nasty, huge snake. The summers in Texas are hot enough to cook eggs on the sidewalk, and it's been up over 100 for the past couple of weeks. This snake was baked INTO the sidewalk. Disgusting.

There will be no more running for Pegs. I will be joining a gym. Immediately.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehehe. I thought I was the only one who nearly passed out at the sight/thought of snakes!!! WHEW! Karina

Senegal Daily said...

I can't believe you fell for that old promotional trick. Didn't you hear on the news about how all the gyms are sprinkling fake snakes around to scare would-be joggers into buying memberships? :)

Nicole said...

OH - MY - WORD...

Abby said...

Pegs, you did great just to have the sense to run! I would have wet my britches.

Props for joining the gym and leaving the sidewalk to the snakes.

Yes, I said britches. :)

Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

just found your blog...and read this post and died laughing!!! so fun to find you on here and i meant to tell you that I am not in Pennsylvania, but S. Dakota for now anyways...