Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Episode Two: 1992--The One with the Quiz

If you are just now joining us and need to read Episode One or if you just need a re-cap, see post on June 12th.

My mother and I lived in a small Texas town during my eighth grade year. Not one to be overly gregarious, I found two best friends and rarely spoke to anyone else, especially anyone of the male species. However, I admiringly looked at a certain boy throughout that year, again in history class. He was another blond with just the right blend of skinny and smart, not overly popular, but friendly enough.

For some reason, from the ripe age of thirteen, I was only interested in the opposite sex in a very permanent way. I imagined a serious relationship with all the romantic moments I could conjure up, including the perfect proposal. The wedding would come shortly after, and I wasted no time scrawling “Peggy (Insert boy’s last name here)” all over any hard surface I could find.

However, my imagination would never take the risk of speaking out loud and the boy in question never knew of our wedding. For all I know, he never even knew of me, except that I was the new girl who didn’t know what county she lived in on the first day of school. We had moved the night before school started, and on the first day my teacher gave a quiz that she thought to be a guaranteed perfect score to start us off on the right foot.

Lesson: Know what county you live in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, what is the name of the county in which Corpus Christi is in???? Heh! -- Karina