Monday, June 19, 2006

why they call it squirrelly

We're going to skip right over the conundrum/quandry that the Dallas Mavs have found themselves in by losing 3 in a row to the Heat...

I discovered today why they call it squirrelly. After my lunch today, I realize the term derived from someone who experienced "The UNT Squirrel Community."

I was pleasantly eating my lunch and reading a book on a swing on the UNT campus. I had noticed the squirrels on campus before. If you've been to the Grand Canyon, you know the squirrels are freakishly friendly. They come right up and will eat out of your hand or let you pet them. Bizarre. The UNT Squirrels are the same way.

You know how you can feel someone staring at you without looking up? Well, I had the eerie sense that someone was watching me eat my lunch. So, I looked up. There were approximately 10 squirrels within 5 feet of where I was sitting. Most of them were staring at me, and then one flattened himself out on the sidewalk with all 4 arms/legs extended.

The words that came to mind were odd, off-base, and CREEPY. And there you have it, the origin of the word "squirrelly."

2 comments:

mrs. darling said...

I LOVE that one of the squirrels flattened himself prostrate on the sidewalk in front of you. As if he was...
1. BEGGING for food
2. They have recognized you as their squirrel queen and that was an act of pure submission
3. squirrels have a history of mental disease in Denton

mrs. darling said...

I don't know how to sell it...
though I wish I could!

Do you??