Monday, June 12, 2006

The Broken Road-Unabridged

For all those who responded to my June 4th post about the Broken Road Lessons Learned (I've had some very interesting conversations since then), here's the unabridged version for your reading pleasure. I'll be posting one episode at a time every few days or so (to allow for deep reflection).

Ladies, please be encouraged that if you've struggled with those elusive creatures we call men, you're not alone. Guys, if you have ever wondered, "How did she come up with that from what I said/did/didn't say/didn't do?" here is some insight into those elusive creatures you call women.

Disclaimer: The names & places have been removed to protect the innocent (and the guilty). These episodes are in no way intended to offend or hurt anyone, and the author fully realizes the story is told from her own unique (and biased) perspective.

EPISODE ONE: 1991—The One with the Quarterback

It all began in my seventh grade history class where I developed a crush on a blond boy who sat exactly opposite from me. He was the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen. I dreamed about, well, talking to him. Finally, the day came. I was busy with the usual, sneaking glances at him during the completely boring lecture, when to my surprise, he caught me looking! I was mortified, until I realized that he was, in fact, trying to get my attention. He held up a piece of paper that said,” WILL,” in big capital letters. Perplexed, I stared and then he held up another that said, “YOU.” One word at a time, he asked if I would eat lunch with him after our class was over. Terrified, of what I don’t know, I shook my head and never looked at him again.

He moved away during that year, and I doubted I’d ever see him again. However, five years later, he reappeared during my senior year of high school, returning with a vengeance as the star quarterback of our football team. Of course, he dated a high-profile drill team member, who coincidentally had been my best friend in kindergarten. I reviewed the scenario, and decided I had jinxed myself for all eternity from successful relationships.

Lesson: Never say no to a date with your dream boy.

3 comments:

mrs. darling said...

MY WORD -- who, in the 7th grade, is that romantic/crafty?? Asking you to eat with him at lunch...word by word on glorious ruled notebook paper?

I have a similar story...8th grade. My true love from kindergarten until 14 years old was Jared Rhodes. He was (gasp) assigned to sit behind me in math class.

Then one beautiful afternoon during math the unthinkable happened. I felt his foot touching mine. But I was naive (read: STUPID) and thought it was an accident. And moved my foot away. Again he touched his foot to mine and then I - why, I do not know to this day - kicked his foot away. When I turned around he had a sad look in his eyes and asked me why I didn't want to play footsie with him.

And that day went down in my books as Black Thursday.

He's now marrying a 20 year old.
Guess the cards played out well for me...who wants to say they once "went out" with a pedophile??

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not certain if this is supposed to be a funny thing or not, I'm sure all our memories have an element of pain in them---but I know for certain other peoples' stories somehow comfort me and teach me to laugh at myself. Thanks for sharing! Karina

Anonymous said...

Wow...props to the 7th grade boy! Very cute, but the poor girl..praise the LORD that God is bigger than our hang ups, but still sympathizes with our "girly emotions".
I wonder if God ever "woos" us with note cards for an adventurous date of "the unknown" only for us to turn him down. ::sigh:: :)
allie :) <><