Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What a difference two years can make...

Cookie gathered the girls tonight at her place for some good food and good company. Unfortunately, I took no pictures but hopefully Marcy will send some of hers my way. A gal was there that I hadn't seen or kept in contact with since I moved away from Denton, nearly two years ago. This was how the conversation went:

Friend: Hey Peggy! It's great to see you! How's your grandma doing?

Peggy: Oh, um...she died.

Friend: OMG, I'm so sorry. When? Are you okay?

Peggy: Yeah, it was pretty natural. She kind of went downhill the last year and was living with relatives...I'm doing better now.

Friend: Wow...so how's your dad?

Peggy: Um, he died too.

Friend: WHAT?

Peggy: Yeah, freak accident from a routine surgery last September, pretty crazy.

Friend: Whoa. Well, do you still have your dog?

Peggy: (bursts out laughing) No...I had to give him away.

Seriously. What kind of 2 minute conversation is that? It was a little awkward. I kind of tried to deflect, but really in the end...I had to see the humorous side in having to answer each question that way.

In the end, it was a good night of girl talk and way too many calories.

4 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

As hard as it was to answer these questions, I'm sure coming home to blog about it was difficult too. But thank you for doing it because it gives those of us far away an insight into your life right now. Thank you.

(Glad to hear there was girl talk and good food though.)

Andrea said...

oh no! your poor friend. I bet she felt awful and hopefully was able to laugh at the awkwardness as well! but i'm glad you ate too many calories. that's a MUST for girls nights. :)

Anonymous said...

That is a strange conversation but I've had some similar...when my dad died everyone at church knew he was dying....then I disappeared for a few weeks and I assumed they knew....come to find out I was having people 3 months later asking how he was. Um???????? All I can say to that is: "church".

mrs. darling said...

what a difficult conversation! i'm glad you could laugh at it, i imagine it probably set both you and your friend at ease. also, you are one of the bravest women i know.