Wednesday, June 03, 2009

National Champs!...OMMM.

My University of Washington Huskies women's softball team defeated the Florida Gators 2 games in a row to win the first ever national championship at the Women's College World Series! It was really fun to cheer on the team even though I'm far away in Texas now. Bella slept while I yelled at the dramatic plays that led to the win.

I also experienced a sense of nostalgia remembering my own high school softball days...facts you may not know:
1) I played varsity softball my junior & senior years (the program started my junior year) and earned the prized letter for my letterman jacket my senior year.
B) I was born to be an outfielder; however, because I am 5'7" and left-handed my coach tried to make me a first baseman. When I earned a busted chin that even the big bad baseball players gawked at by missing a ball at first base, he put me back in the outfield. Good choice. And, I told you so.
D) I earned all-district honorable mention for defense my senior year.
4) My # was 10. Who knows why.
Q) My favorite softball moment was a diving catch I made to end a game. Yay me!
Z) My other favorite moment was when our team won the district during our first year having a program. We had about 8 seniors that graduated, and virtually had to start with a new team the next year.

Not that most of my readers are going to give two hoots about this, but here is a link to more if you want to read up on UW win.

In other news, I went to my first ever yoga class on Monday night. Work was particularly insane on Monday, so I planned to just veg on my couch and watch the Bachelorette (yes, I'm THAT girl). At 7:05, Jesse convinced me that my extreme fatigue was exactly why I should participate in the invigorating activity that is yoga.

The 90 minute class began with Becky, the instructor, introducing me. She loved that I wrote "just curious" on my form as to why I was there, and let everyone know that I was a yoga virgin. Then, class commenced with a group chorus of three "OOMMMMM"'s.

I was pretty proud of myself. Despite the fact that Becky came over to me and literally pushed my body in some way or another 3 or so times, I never had to stop and take a break...did I mention the class was 90 minutes? So it took a lot of stamina (but nothing compared to the spinning class I tried a few years ago...I was surprised I still had a rear end when that was over).

The wierd thing about yoga is that while I was simultaneously feeling the slight pain of muscles being stretched in new ways, I was so relaxed that I almost fell asleep a couple of times. Becky talked to us while we did the different poses and I felt a renewed sense of "I'm awesome"-ness upon leaving that evening.

So, to all of you faithful blog readers I bless you with a great big "OOOMMMMMM."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can fat people (well not too fat but fat) do yoga as well???? I'm afraid I might die, but I feel interested. Maybe I'll get some DVD's and do it in my house---spare me the humiliation.

Peggy said...

there were all kinds of people in the class...it was a nice mix!

Senegal Daily said...

Cool! I'd love to try a yoga class. I liked pilates a lot.

Are you going to go back?

mrs. darling said...

i took a yoga class as my P.E. class my senior year of college. i referred to the teacher as Yoga Nazi. she was EVIL and more than once violently pushed me into position. but it was awesome. i loved it. by the end of the class i could do a TRIPOD!! not sure the yoga term but it's when you balance on your head and hands and your knees are on your elbows...hence, the tripod. also, we would end the class in childs pose and i swear i fell asleep every time. keep us posted on your classes! have you bought a cute outfit yet??

Swiftyjess said...

Look at you trying something new!

Abby said...

i feel inspired! maybe i'll try a class at my gym next week!