Monday, May 18, 2009

Wow is Me weekend

*Note: Newly edited to reflect the end of the spoiler alert.*

On Friday morning, I found out that my aunt, uncle & cousin wouldn't be able to come to Dallas for the weekend after all. For ten seconds, I considered the "Woe is me" approach, and then decided that option stunk. So I opted for the "Wow is me" approach instead. (That last sentence? Perhaps the cheesiest, dorkiest, ickiest sentence uttered on this blog to date. Please continue reading anyway.)

Once I found out I didn't have to wait until Monday, I immediately downloaded the Grey's Anatomy finale after work. By 5:18, I was watching. QUASI-SPOILER ALERT: OMG. Seriously, couldn't George have just joined the Army? We know T.R. Knight is going off the show (despite the back & forth, we know in our heart of hearts...and the complete lack of story line for George the entire season was a good giveaway), but did it have to be so fracking brutal? I was bawling and yelling at the computer.

**END OF QUASI-SPOILER ALERT**

I decided to lay out for the first time since my return to Texas. It only took 5 weeks, but I reveled in the sunshine on Friday early evening, at the perfect time to start on my tan without feeling like I was acquiring third degree burns and sweating whlist not moving a muscle. I read and tanned by the pool for about an hour. Glorious.

Then, while on a roll, I decided to...work out! I haven't worked out in an embarrassingly long time, considering I used to be the type who felt like a lazy bum if I skipped one day of working out. But not only does my fantastically fancy new apartment complex have a gate that requires a special code to enter and a luxurious pool, but also a cute little fitness center!! Since the weather was so perfect, I did cardio outside before doing weight training in the fitness room.

By now, I was feeling great. And I stank. I think my body wasn't used to A) a workout and B) temperatures above 45 degrees. Upon returning to the apartment, Bella, who normally cuddles up to me the second I come home, turned her nose at me and walked away. I took her cue and showered.

On Saturday, I decided to continue my Wow is Me weekend. It was pretty nasty weather outside, thunder and rain, so I did my favorite rainy day activity. I parked myself in a fat comfy chair at Starbucks with a good higher education nerd book (Getting Mentored in Graduate School) and a Mocha Frappucino Light w/Whip (let's face it, if I order the light frap, then I should get whipped cream for a reward).

Finally, the weather cleared a bit so I took Bella on a stroll into the neighbordhood next to my complex. Turns out, I live in the ghetto. My fancy complex is on the boundary or some seedy stuff. I guess I won't go running after dark.

After the stroll, I repeated Friday evening's activities since I had enjoyed them so much. I can't say I read at the pool...I was too distracted by the ten year old boys yelling "incoming" so many times, I almost cannon balled into the pool on them to make them shut the *?!* up. I mean, I love it when boys let all their energy out in productive ways like swimming...so healthy.

And yes, I even worked out again! 20 minutes on the elliptical (pause for Mrs. Darling to laugh heartily at the thought that that even consitutes a workout) and weight training later, I returned to the apartment. Bella is irritated to find out the stink was not a one time thing.

Then...oh, but THEN. I put on my black halter dress and red heels, and I went salsa dancing in Dallas! "Who did you go with?" is what you're asking. The answer, an unequivocal, "My fabulous self!" Yes, I did. After having talked to only Bella and the Starbucks guy for over 24 hours, I had to get out. And get out, I did.

I met a great gal in line behind me who sweet talked both of us out of cover charge and made a lovely new friend for the evening before we both were asked to dance. I then recalled how to dance salsa to the best of my ability since it had been awhile, but I think I did fairly well. More than my dancing, I was proud of myself for being brave enough to go dancing in Dallas solo.

Sunday brought some sort of eye allergy which I carry with me today. My left eye is kicking and screaming to close, but I keep making her stay at work. (Yes, I'm blogging at work--we're caught up!). Uyen brought over Bella's brother, Tony, to play and they had a grand time. (Why didn't I think to take pictures?)

So, I wasn't in Dallas all weekend with the fam--which I'm not gonna lie, was disappointing at first. But I learned that I can survive a weekend on my own, and enjoy it!

6 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Pegs, that is awesome!! I'm so happy you went out and tackled the big city on your own.

I must admit I didn't read the majority of the post due to the spoiler alert (wasn't sure when it ended) but what i read sounded like you had a great weekend. I love the title, by the way.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend - thanks for sharing! Props to you for going Salsa dancing! I have a black dress and red heels that I'm waiting for a reason to wear!!

Nicole said...

Good for you, Peggy!! I want to do that!

amybyrd said...

sounds like a great weekend I am proud and impressed!! Go Pegs!!

Anonymous said...

Wow...impressive!

mrs. darling said...

dude, i am impressed with your elliptical workout. i hate that machine, it's like friggin torture and makes me feel like i'm a tard.

also, you just became my hero for going salsa dancing alone. don't you just ADORE red heels? i feel so saucy when i wear mine.