Thursday, April 30, 2009

Like a column...

Today I watched a movie I have been wanting to see for a long time. And I got something out of it that I never expected.

I watched Marley & Me. While I did get what I expected (I have never bawled like that at a movie), I also got something totally unexpected. I realized that writing a blog is like being an online version of a print columnist. John Grogan, Marley & Me's protagonist, is a reporter for The Sun-Sentinel newspaper in Florida. When the paper is in dire need of a columnist, John reluctantly takes on the job twice a week. He is so gifted with sharing his personal perspective on the mundane things of life that his boss gives him the job full-time.

The descriptions of his columns remind me a lot of the blog. For John, Marley provided endless material from which to entertain, much as Wilbert did. I am contemplating getting another dog, and look forward to the stories that surely await. Like me, John takes the seemingly mundane things of life and tries to write something that others would enjoy or benefit from. I have never thought I wanted to write for a newspaper, but now I think it wouldn't be so bad to have my own column...I could be the next John Grogan...or Carrie Bradshaw (Lack of Sex in the City, anyone?).

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I think you'd make an excellent columnist: clear, succint, funny, and always with a point.

Uyen said...

I love your blog and check it everyday to see if you have a new post. I would definitely read your column!