Sunday, April 05, 2009

Seattle Sites

Afrikando!
Jesse's mom and I went to eat at Afrikando, a West African restaurant located in South Seattle.
Senegal had, by far, the best food in West Africa in my opinion and I was super excited to have yassa poulet again for the first time since 2005.

Bissap, a tradiational Senegalese beverage made from hibiscus.

We shared a plate of fried plaintains for the appetizer.

Yassa au poulet

Maggie ordered ceebu jinn, the Senegalese national dish.

Recent visit to the Woodland Park Zoo

Above is one of my favorites, the sea otter. This little guy got in the water and swam up just to say hi to us.

The bald eagle was one of the last exhibits we saw.

Good ol' brown bear.

This siting of the ostrich didn't yield quite the excitement of when my team and I raced an ostrich on an African safari in South Africa in 2000...but I still love the ostrich.


Precious kangas.

Cool kind of bird...can't remember the name. It promptly ran into the glass wall of the exhibit about 5 seconds after this photo was taken.

The bird feeding area.


Golden monkeys...so cute!


This was probably the best exhibit of the day...the gorillas were right there when everyone could see them. Here, Mama and baby watch Papa and Junior on the ropes. Mama had a disgusting habit that she performed 3 times while we were there of puking her food up and then eating it. She licked her fingers to make sure every tasty puke morsel was eaten. Ew.

The rest of these are just pretty birds...



Nepalese food with Jesse's classmates to celebrate the end of Calculus--these are lovely appetizers called Momos


Fans of the late 90s movie, Ten Things I Hate About You, may recognize these shots of
Gasworks Park from the paintball scene...

It was terrifically cold and windy that day which is why my hair is doing some strange Afro twist back.

Jesse wanted us to do a panic face for some unknown reason...I look totally not believable.

My failed attempt to capture the Space Needle in my hand.



3 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Those first pictures make me want to cry. I am SO happy you got to eat Senegalese food! What a treat. Did you chat up the servers?

(I love that space needle shot. Totally something I'd try...and fail.)

Marcy said...

brown bear and I look alike....

Kate Borders said...

You are full of adventure - way to go being a big girl - I look forward to hearing how it all goes!

And...Jesse's panic face is totally believable :)

- Kate