Tuesday, April 07, 2009

It's time...

...to finally say it.

My roommate's dog, Sophie, is currently trapped in Leah's bedroom so she doesn't maul the two men who are packing my things into boxes. Oh, that's not what it's finally time to say.

I've never hired professional movers before, but I have had enough of packing and moving myself so I'm spoiling myself and not doing it this time. Nor is that what it's finally time to say.

The movers are packing everything and carrying the boxes downstairs one by one to load into their truck and carry off to Denton, TX.

That's right. Denton. Again. That's it--that's what it is finally time to say.

I have finally come to grips with the fact that Seattle seems to just not want me to stay. I have searched in vain for a job here for nearly 3 years, and have been able to only get positions that are temporary (or crazy, i.e. Art Institute). In only 2008 and only at the U of Washington, I applied for SIXTY-EIGHT jobs. That doesn't count the jobs applied for in 2006 or 2007, or at any other college...of which there were many.

However, it seems that, just as boys merely have to think about losing weight and it falls off, I merely have to think about moving back to Texas and UNT offers me a job on a silver platter.

Beginning next Monday, April 13th, I will be an advisor with UNT's College of Business Graduate Programs Office. What a mouthful. It's a great position, the senior advising position with great leadership opportunities and the added responsibility that I'm looking for at this point in my career.

April 13th is also the day Jesse and I would celebrate our one-year anniversary. I don't really knwo what else to say about that on the blog except that it is what it is. Sometimes you wish things could be different, could be better. But they just aren't. And you have to walk the next step on your own.

But hey, it's me. And if Peggy has learned how to do anything in her life, it's how to walk the next step on her own, by herself, alone. So she will do it again. (And please, do not try to assuage me here with some sentiment about how I'm not alone and I have close friends who are like family. That is another blog post, but essentially it's baloney. I am very grateful for my close friends but that's what they are. They are not family.)

Why has Peggy begun referring to herself in the 3rd person?

Revert: first person.

I am feeling bittersweet about moving again. I hope this one is for the long term, I really do. But I know that the future is uncertain and I've never been promised the security and stability that I seem to simultaneously long for and run away from.

Seattle hasn't helped with 3 straight days of sunny, 72 degree weather. Seriously. Never fear: the forecast is for Wednesday through Saturday to be nasty again so I will be able to leave without feeling that this is paradise.

I will miss the beauty of Seattle...it's gorgeous evergreens, the view of Mt. Rainier from my living room, the Cascade and Olympic Mountains on either side of the city, Green Lake. I will miss the quirky neighborhoods, including my own dear Fremont. I will miss Jesse's parents, who have welcomed me in for the past year. I will miss Ginger and Sophie, the two dogs who have become like my own.

But good things await. My friends in Denton and other Texas towns. My family in Brownwood and Kerrville. A job where I can thrive and find purpose. And health insurance...oh dear health insurance, I love thee. It's been too long.

It's no secret my faith has been all over the place for quite some time now. It still is, but I can't help feeling that someone is orchestrating this. To take me from a place where I have felt lost and insane and back to the place where I never felt better. Maybe sanity awaits me in Denton, too. Maybe even more...like joy and peace and hope.

That would be nice.

7 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Clap! Clap! Clap!

Beautifully written, well-expressed, nice and comprehensive, funny yet realistic...great post, Pegs. You're such a talented writer and I love when you dive in to that skill.

So now that I've covered the finer points of your writing, let me also say (more importantly) that I think you've made a great decision and am excited to see what's ahead.

The verse I'm learning this week is Psalm 34:7: Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.

Have a delight-ful transition.

Love,

- K

Anonymous said...

Wow. You move a lot. But it sounds reasonable! I'm sorry about things with Jesse. And as far as your faith being all over the place---so what. I'm personally done with people in my life who can't accept me for who I am and what I may or may not believe. So what---our life is given to us to walk, ya know? As for no family--that sucks---I don't completely understand though as I have a beautiful daughter and some who are "like family". Take care Peggy. I'm happy about your new job!

mrs. darling said...

it made me sad when i realized jesse (uncle jesses...ahh, full house. that man was a heart-throb.) was not moving with you.

i'm excited that you are returning to the lone star state. i'm excited you have health insurance and a job. you inspire me with your bravery and grace.

Abby said...

i think marcy described you best...

bravery and grace.

she forgot gorgeous and smart, though.

thinking of you, sweet friend. you are destined for greatness. ;-)

Liz said...

Tis true - friends are not family. As much as we love you, it just isn't the same. But I am glad you will be closer to me! I am also sad about your separation from Jesse. The future is uncertain, but I pray it will be a bright one. LOVE YOU!

Amber Dawn said...

hey pegs! i've been thinking about you and your transition. these past couple of years have been a rough ride, but i pray this move will allow you to settle and feel at rest.
love you!

Swiftyjess said...

I already miss you.
I know we only met two times but I enjoyed meeting you.
I hope I'm able to chuck out to Texas sometime to meet up with you on your "turf".