Sunday, April 19, 2009

Tidbits

Green Lake
As mentioned in my previous post, there were 3 days of "72 & sunny" weather in Seattle the weekend before I left. So, of course we hit Green Lake!


Jesse's friend, Kjell, came with us. Here are the boys above. Kjell is probably the friend of Jesse's that I got to know the most...he's that great combination of the life of the party and a great person to talk with one-on-one.

Unfortunately, the pic above is the only of us from that day. Oh, the cheese factor. Not to mention that besides the pose's cheese factor, neither of us looks ready for it. However, note 2 things: 1) We are outside and I'm in SHORTS and 2) We are outside and EATING ICE CREAM. Only living in Seattle would I capitalize those activities...or point them out at all.

University of Washington
Before leaving Seattle, I took a few pics of the University of Washington campus. I really do have a strong affinity for it. You just feel smarter walking around and you know that great things are constantly happening all around you. Above are the steps to Miller Hall, where my education classes were.

The annual blooming of the cherry blossoms at the Quad never gets old.

Denny Hall, the first building of the UW, constructed in 1861. Still holding classes, and the clock tower still works!

I left Seattle on April 11th. Eight days can seem like 10 years when you experience a separation that makes your heart ache each moment.

But alas, I am in Texas. And thus far...
*I have startled a TSA worker at the Seattle airport. I accidentally packed aerosol cans in my carry-on (I'm normally too experienced a traveler to make such an error, but my mind was on other things!) so they had to open my bag, take them, and pass the bag through the scanner again. Having just left Jesse and still being able to see him watching me go through, I'm crying as she takes out the hair products. She asks if I want to go put them in my checked bags. I cry no and tell her to just throw them away. She asks if there is someone I can leave them with here. I cry harder and tell her no and to throw them away. She looks at me like I'm crazy and they are just hair spray and mousse, nothing to cry over. I say, "I don't care about the stupid hair products!" She runs my bag through again and it's fine. Hey, I can appreciate the humor in that also painful moment.
*I have started a new job.
*I have had a headache from trying to learn all new information. Again.
*I watched Matt Giraud get The Judges Save on American Idol. No matter what happens in my life, AI remains stable.
*I reunited with my beautiful car, Louise. She was waiting for me when I arrived.
* I have missed Jesse tremendously.
*I have talked to him approximately 2-3 times a day.
*I have slept with two wiener dogs.
*I have had Friday Morning Coffee with Marcy.
*I have had quality time with a great friend, Sara.
*I have been to Cracker Barrel. Biscuits...mmm.
*I have mistakenly walked into a stranger's apartment thinking it was Sara's. I did this while holding a bath towel, change of clothes, and toiletries bag...oh and my blow dryer hanging by its cord because of all the crap I was carrying. When the strangers and I realized what happened, I said, "Oops." And walked out.
*I went to Austin for the weekend and met Baby Emma Byrd.

She's SUCH a great baby. Adorable, great facial expressions, never cries. I enjoyed holding her very much, and had a front seat for observing the reality of having a newborn. Poor Ames is sleep deprived. But...it's totally worth it!

Amy's friends Summer & Heather also visited, so we took a group photo. I'm holding Maggie, Amy's dog who has become extremely jealous and hacked off that Emma is in the house.

Mama & Emma Byrd

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

I misread this line as:

"I have started a TSA worker..." and thought for a second you were working at the airport!

But after a few re-reads (hey, it's early. no coffee yet) I figured it out.

Thanks for the update. Are you enjoying the new job? Can you email me your mailing address?

Take care of yourself and keep us all updated!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are settling in some....even if there are some "growing pains". Sending good thoughts and prayers your way!