Thursday, August 28, 2008

Addendum regarding "fixing to"

Indeed, I had an experience of inner turmoil over whether or not to use the phrase "fixing to" in my last post. You see, I am a Grammar Girl and after searching her website thoroughly with every variation of "fixing to" possible, I came up with zero results. This indicated to me that it is incorrect grammar.

Nonetheless, I have a deep appreciation of cultural dialects and my Southernness won out. I typed "fixing to," backspaced and typed "going to," backspaced and typed "fixing to," backspaced and typed "about to," before finally backspacing and leaving it as "fixing to."

Yee-haw!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I should have mentioned that I love that you used it! I totally say that all the time. :)

Senegal Daily said...

I agree.

mrs. darling said...

I just read the post about Jesse's reaction to fried okra. I actually have NO WORDS. How does someone go their entire life without knowing and loving the beauty that is fried okra?

Swiftyjess said...

I had no idea what 'fixing to' means.
About to? Going to?

Anonymous said...

Hi Peggy! How is it going? Give us an update! I hope you are enjoying Washington again. Karina