Friday, August 22, 2008

Fried okra--the relationship deal-breaker

Last night, Jesse and I decided to pick up dinner in Columbia City, this cute little area in south Seattle. Neither of us knew the area too well, so we just parked and decided to walk around until we found something we both wanted.

Deliciousness smacked me in the face when we rounded a corner and behold...Jones BBQ. My whole mouth filled with saliva when the smell of brisket hit my nose.

After convincing my northerner boyfriend to go in, the saliva turned into an embarrassing drooling problem. I became weak in the knees as I anticipated the flavors that my mouth had long forgotten.

There were several people in line, and I began to search the menu. Brisket...pork...rib tips...sausage...potato salad...baked beans...and the special veggie of the day, OMG...it's FRIED FREAKING OKRA.

I started shrieking, "Jesse, Jesse! They have fried okra!!" His response made me stop cold. He said, "What's that?"

WHAT.

I was already having a Texas Appreciation Day, having cranked the old country up on my ipod in the car. Jesse had earned major points for being able to sing along to the likes of Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn's "Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man" as well as "Louisiana Saturday Night" (maybe I was having more of a Louisiana Appreciation Day?).

And then he LOST all points, and even went into negative digits with those two little words, "What's that?"

So we got a large side of fried okra...and I decided I could still be with him after he tried it and decided it was "actually pretty good."

What's with northerners?

5 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

III hadn't ever had it until we had 'Southern night' at the McIntire's while we kept the kids.

I remember one of the F4F groups made a bunch of it up in St Louis for Ben's family.

Yum - BBQ sounds sooooo good right now.

Abby said...

We fry things, Pegs. :-)

Nicole said...

My bf is a huge fan of fried okra and I consider it a VERY important quality! And photos, Peggy. We need photos!! And I'm not talking about photos of fried okra!

The Rainier Valley Post said...

Mmmm, fried okra... When northerners would sit at my auntie's Texas panhandle table and ask curiously, "What's that?" She'd reply with a smile and a healthy serving of whatever it was, "It don't matter, honey. It's fried."

Swiftyjess said...

There is a well-known BBQ establishment on 86th and Greenwood (across from the Safeway) that you could try sometime.
I've been there but being a Northwesterner I know nothing about bbq. :-)