Friday, August 22, 2008

Afrikando!

FYI: To those who don't scan, I did post twice today so read further down after this...apparently, my vow to blog more (I said better, didn't I? Well, hopefully it's both.) really sunk in...

We went to Safeway (a grocery store for those w/o them) last night, and our check-out guy was unmistakably West African. I don't know how, but after living there for two years, you JUST KNOW when you see one (back me up on this, fellow WA folks). Plus, his name tag said his last name was "Mbacke."

So I asked where he was from and he said Senegal. I replied that I had lived in Dakar for about a year and he was (as usual) ecstatic...and incredulous.

EM: "No way."
PI: "Yes, I did."
EM: "NO WAY."
PI: "Yes, really."
EM: "You like ceebu jinn?"
PI: "Oh yes, it's wonderful. But my favorite is yassa poulet."
EM: "NO!" (hearty chuckling)
PI: "Do you know where I can get Senegalese food in Seattle?"
EM: "Down the street, by the drivers license place."
PI: "I don't know it." (Which I would never say to another American, but I say now with my African-American accent that comes out when talking with Africans.)
(Jesse has been watching this whole thing play out with a grin on his face.)
JS: "Oh, yeah...Afrikando!"
(I look at him appreciatively for knowing A) what the guy said through his thick accent, and B) for knowing what place our new friend was referring to.)
EM: Yes, Afrikando!

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

I always light up in those situations. What a blessing when they ...all I can think of is the Frenchism "arrive" ;)
-J

Senegal Daily said...

"Light up" - whatever. He freakin' glows and gets all excited. But don't we all??!?!

And yes - after living there, you can just tell.

Did you drop a little Wolof bomb, Nabu? Which reminds me...I've been meaning to take a picture for you, but there's a grafitti 'artist' in Lyon who signs NABU on everything.