Thursday, August 21, 2008

the woes of a mover

I was all set today to make good on my promise to be the blogger of yesteryears by doing what Kari requested on her own super-blog (seriously, she's like a blogger possessed) and doing a post on my daily commute. But alas, my digital camera is somewhere in all my stuff yet to be recovered from my most recent move. Boo.

So, you have to settle for a "Commute in Words" instead of a "Commute in Pictures."

My commute on Tuesdays & Thursdays has been something else...it looks a little like this:

8:15 am--depart my apartment to work...which means, walking up my street (N. Motor Pl.--not the most appealing street address), crossing the intersection with a major jaywalk violation, digging out my U-PASS to ride the bus "for free" (I pay a nice fee to the UW for this pass)
8:25 am--the #5 arrives and I find a seat, settling in for the 15 minute ride to downtown Seattle with my Jennifer Weiner novel
8:35 am--cross the Aurora Bridge with a lovely view of the Olympic Mtns on the right and the Cascades on the left as we drive over Lake Union
8:40 am--disembark (is that right?) the #5 at 3rd Ave & Bell St and go to Gina's Starbucks to say good morning and grab a chai latte
8:50 am--walk from 1st Ave & Bell (the Starbucks) to the Art Institute at Elliott Ave & Battery St.

3:35 pm--leave work and hoof it uphill to 3rd & Bell to take the #2 or #4 to Westlake Station (which bears a striking resemblance to Grand Central in NYC--seriously), where I then take the first of the #71, 72, 73 or 74 to the U-District for class
3:50 pm--arrive Westlake Station and take one of the 70s
4:00 pm--cross the I-5 bridge with the same view as the Aurora bridge from the morning
4:10 pm--arrive at the UW and walk to class in Miller Hall (man, I need pictures...the views are amazing here)
4:25 pm--arrive to class with 5 min to spare

6:30 pm--leave class and walk to 15th Ave & 42nd St to catch the #44 bus back home to Fremont
6:45 pm--where the h*?! is the #44?
6:55 pm--seriously, did it get lost? an accident? where IS IT?
7:05 pm--the #44 arrives and I get on in a huff, showing the driver my UPASS, which he can shove where the sun don't shine by now
7:35 pm--arrive at 46th St & Fremont Ave, where I disembark and walk 6 blocks home to a happy Sophie

And now it's 3:37 pm so you can see that I am running late to catch my bus!!

1 comment:

Senegal Daily said...

Yeah, finding your stuff after a move stinks. But hey - at least you didn't lose all your photo CDs this time...right?

Here's the unintentional brilliance of what you've just done: one good post today that you can re-use later by plugging in photos once you find the camera - and voila! Two posts, 1/2 the effort.