Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Random...but mostly A Bike Tale

3 days left at work.
10 days left in Texas.

I arrive in Seattle at 10:45 am, and Jesse already has planned a lunch date for us in West Seattle. I like him.

Work is BORING. It's Spring Break, and ain't nobody here 'cept me, Abbie, and Rosy. Rosy has never seen Mary Poppins (Holy Lost Childhood, Batman!) so I'm bringing it for us to watch this week. Chim-chiminey.

I have been consuming so much Chick-Fil-A since they don't have them in Seattle that I fear I may turn into one of those cows on the billboards. "Eat Mor Chikin."

I just had Mr. Chopsticks for the last time (until I move back to Denton in approximately one year...oh wait, I don't plan to do that). Sesame Chicken, my favorite. It was the special today, so I also got a veggie spring roll for free. I like to think it was their parting gift to me.

The carpet has been cleaned. The guys said that the enzymes used to clean the pet stains will make the apartment quite rank as the enzymes set in and do their work. They were correct. My apartment is filled with the scent of dog urine.

I took a 10 mile bike ride at a nearby state park on Sunday. I went by myself, and latched on to a group of 3 who arrived at the same time. We were going along and I finally asked how long this trail was.
Friendly Guy: "12 miles."
Me: Ahem. You mean 12 miles round trip, right?
FG: "12 miles. One way."
Me: "Okay then, I will not be completing the trail."
FG: "You came out here by yourself?"
Me: "Yes, I did."
FG: "Really? You could fall and break your leg and no one would know."
Me: "Well, as long as you guys go further than I do, you will see me on your way back in."
FG: "I suppose that's true."
Me: "You see, I have no patience for not doing stuff alone. I lived in Africa and I wasn't supposed to do stuff alone. But I did. And I was fine."
FG: "Oh okay." (Hello? Where is the usual "OMG--you lived in AFRICA? That's so cool. What did you do there?)

Some time later...
Me: "So, my bike seat isn't very cushy. I'm starting to feel it."
A Little Too Friendly Guy: "Oh yeah, I had that problem. I got this really nice seat. See?" ALTFG stands on his pedals. Indeed, it looks like a very cushy bike seat. "Now I don't have prostate problems like I used to."
A ten second pause while I think to myself, "Holy Crap. Did this guy I do not know really just say that."
Me: "Ahem. Yeah, yeah. I'm sure that seat has helped. So, I think I'll turn around now."

For putting up with ALTFG and completing a 10 mile bike ride, I rewarded myself with a lime slush at Sonic, which they also do not have in Seattle.

4 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

"until I move back to Denton in approximately one year...oh wait, I don't plan to do that"

I love that line. I mean really, if we can't laugh at ourselves... we're no fun. :) And you, Pegs, are fun.

The Massons said...

Peggy that "young chic" is my Mom and I gladly passed the compliment onto her. You are too sweet. Oh-and funny too! How did you and Kari become such good friends because I mean, she isn't funny AT ALL! ;) just kidding . . . .

mrs. darling said...

1) i cannot imagine a world without sonic in it.

2) she has never watched mary poppins?! next you'll find out she's never heard of santa claus. or democracy.

3) someone should tell that dude that NO ONE wants to know about his prostate issues.

4) once, while eating lunch with my mom at her work (she works at a church)...we were there alone and forgot to lock a door and this crazy looking homeless guy walked in. he was rambling on and on and said, "you know, you should keep the doors locked...a crazy person could walk in here, slit your throats and no one would ever know." the comment from the biker about you falling and breaking your leg and no one knowing reminded me of that in a round-about way.

Erin said...

Peggy,
Just thought I should jump in and voice my concern that you are moving to the land of no Chick-fil-a OR Sonic. My condolences.