Tuesday, March 02, 2010

A fishy story

So yesterday, I'm sitting at my desk at work. Sam, the Betta fish I was given at our Christmas exchange at work, swims next to my desktop monitor. I was typing away, when my peripheral vision (which the eye doctor told me 2 weeks ago is working perfectly, and it's a good thing as you're about to see) saw something blue/green. I looked, and Sam was flopping around on my desk!! A suicide attempt, I presume.

I hollered at Stacy to come rescue him. Until that moment, I wouldn't have told you that I was afraid to pick up a tiny Betta fish. Apparently, I am. So Stacy came in, picked him up, and tossed him back in the bowl. He's not terribly active, but still alive this morning.

This takes me back to a very "fishy story" from my college days. I lived in a dorm where I had a roommate and two suite-mates that shared one bathroom. I became quite close to one of my suite-mates, until she stole my man. Then things became just plain awkward. We were hardly talking, but she asked me to watch her Betta fish while she went home for Easter weekend.

I have to explain the relationship between Suite-Mate and Bob the Betta. She'd had him for three years, and treated him like most people treat a dog or cat...as a beloved member of the family. She would stare into his bowl and coo at him..."Oh Bob, you're such a good boy, aren't you Bob?"

Seriously.

So, here I am...watching the beloved fish of my barely friend Suite-Mate. My friend, Amy, came to visit me that weekend. We returned from an afternoon of shopping...and found Bob floating upside down in the bowl.

OMG.

She's going to think I killed her fish because she stole my man.

OMG.

Even worse, when Suite-Mate was supposed to return from home that evening, I would be driving Amy to the Little Rock airport (a total 2.5 hour round trip), so I wouldn't even be HOME when she got back.

The Ultimate Dilemma: Do I leave a note with Bob still floating in the bowl? Do I leave a note with Bob already flushed down the toilet? Do I drop out of college and just never set foot on campus again?

Amy was rolling on the floor with laughter at my predicament. We decided that due to Suite-Mate's unusual (read: CRAZY) relationship with Bob, I should not flush him. You know, just in case she wanted to flush him herself. Or have a funeral and bury him behind the dorm.

So, I left a note with Bob floating in the bowl. Suite-Mate found him when she got home, and was PISSED. Everything I thought would happen did:
1. She cried.
B. She thought I did it on purpose.
D. She buried him behind the dorm.

Yes, a fishy story, indeed.

3 comments:

Liz said...

OMG that is SO FUNNY!!!!

Senegal Daily said...

How have I not ever heard this story???

That is awesome.

Seriously - what else could you have done? I think leaving a note was the best choice.

Still, makes for a great story. :)

mrs. darling said...

wow. i mean, just...wow. i have a lot to say about this post.

1) why is your betta suicidal? i am concerned about this but mostly because i fear you will come in one morning and find his corpse on your desk. and i would not have touched him either. gross.

2) your roommate stole your man??? i need to hear this story in its entirety!

3) i am disturbed by this roommates relationship with her fish. very disturbed. i would probably have flushed it and pretended it never existed and convinced her she was crazy.