Thursday, May 26, 2011

What ever happened to that dissertation?

Well, I'm glad you asked. I always heard it would be a long process that would test your patience. I really hadn't experienced much of that until the last 6 months.

If you recall, I passed my General Exam (which was basically chapters 1-2 of my dissertation proposal, with a third chapter that would need quite a bit of work before it was included in the proposal) in November and completed my last courses in December. It's now late May.

I have...waited a lot. Written some. Waited more. Written a little bit. Waited awhile. Written a tweak. I was waiting on dissertation committee feedback, which always eventually came. I would deal with one question/comment, fix it, wait, and then receive another in response.

Finally, the proposal was ready. I filled out the human subjects application. Then I was told I also needed to submit my interview questions. Those, friends, are NOT in the proposal.

Wrote interview questions. And am now waiting. (For feedback from my advisor.)

So, in 5 months, I've written the equivalent of about 5-7 pages and created a title page and table of contents. And I've waited in one form or another for probably 4.5 of those 5 months.

BUT. If all goes well on the next round of feedback, all I have to do is get the signatures (in person, electronic not allowed) of my department chair and faculty advisor (finding 2 faculty in person when I work full-time? Sure, no problem.) and submit it to Human Subjects.

And then I get to wait.

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

I love this: "Written a tweak." Such a good way to explain 99% of what I feel like I do :)

Waiting is no fun, but hopefully it will go quickly and smoothly!

Love, Me said...

Oh the waiting game.... I am all to familiar. Think of it as the universe giving you the ok to take a break.