Thursday, October 28, 2010

missing Africa

I just looked through Kari's Senegal blogs, and started to feel blue. Especially when I saw pictures of dear friends that I haven't seen in 6.5 years.

It's strange how I've spent only 1/16th of my life in Africa, but it feels like a second home. My heart actually aches sometimes to be back there. To smell the funk, to eat the yassa, to laugh with my African friends when I hardly understand what's being said, to hold my orphan babies. And to worry that they think I've forgotten them. Don't they realize that Africa gets inside and stays, that it will not let you forget (even if you wanted to, which I don't).

I saw the documentary Babies last weekend and HIGHLY recommend it. I have been wanting to see it because it has two things I adore: babies and cultures. In case you don't know the film documents the lives of four babies from birth to first steps. The babies are from Namibia (my first adventure to Africa in 2000), Mongolia, Japan (where I'm dying to go), and San Francisco.

I watched it by myself and laughed, cried, you name it. Then, I watched it again with Jesse because I needed him to have just a glimpse of the Africa that is such an important part of my life.

3 comments:

mrs. darling said...

i worry all the time they will think i have forgotten them. and how is it possible to spend such a brief part of my life in africa and yet it feels like home and i miss it all the time? it's just...unreal how it burrows into the blood and marrow of your soul.

i've been wanting see babies! but wasn't sure if it was any good or not.

Senegal Daily said...

Man, I think we could ALL post on this topic.

Right Marcy-Jana-Kate-Joel-Maggie-Amber?

Julie G said...

I know what you mean about it getting in your blood...I still re-think everything I say in Bambara just to make sure I still know it. I don't think I told you - I'm going back to Mali for two weeks on Tuesday! I can't wait...it has been way too long.