Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Random is back!

The trouble with blogging for me lately is not that I'm bummed out. Because I'm not anymore, much to my relief. I've simply lacked ideas for posts.

Then I remembered the popularity of the Random series, and decided to stick with what works.

So here you are. Privy to my inner monologue. Brace yourself.

For the first month I worked at NSCC, I thought I was a bad omen for the college. I worked there a mere week (part-time, mind you) before everything went to crap.
1. I got sick. I rarely get sick so when I do, I get SICK.
2. My first day to return, a freaking blizzard hit Seattle. Okay, maybe not a blizzard, but it was the worst winter storm since 1996. The school was closed for inclement weather for several days.
3. My first day to return, I came into the office just as everyone was sent home because a water main had broken and the school was without water. We closed for 2 days.
4. My first day to return, I walked down the hall to the Advising Center. I entered my office. I sat down at my desk.

And the fire alarm went off.

Are you serious.

So, we evacuated. After waiting approximately 15 minutes in the below freezing temperatures, we were allowed back in the building and carried on with the day.

Me. Bad. Omen.

I started an advising internship with the Information School (iSchool) at the UW last week.

Last year, during The Job Hunt of 2008, I was repeatedly told that I finished second because someone who was 1. Internal (usually at the UW) or 2. had WA state experience beat me out. So, I am concurrently holding positions that should nix that problem.

I love eating bread with peanut butter and jelly. Not pb&j sandwiches. I like a single piece of bread (not toasted) with jelly and then peanut butter on top.

I am currently watching the American Idol auditions in Kansas City, and a lovely girl named Jessica just made it to Hollywood. Jessica lives with her 93-year old grandma and they showed a few minutes of video of her & her grandma...Grandma is hard of hearing and Jessica had to yell things a few times. She also had to help walk her around the house. I cried. I go home next week for Grandma's memorial service.

Facebooking is not like riding a bike. I got on facebook and tried to surf it for the first time in who knows how long. I got overwhelmed and quit. I have forgotten how to facebook.

I found a new Michael Cera movie I need to see (Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist). I have this Mary Kay LeTourneau habit of having crushes on baby boys. Or more like guys with baby faces. Topher Grace was first. Then Jesse. Now Michael Cera. If you don't know who Michael Cera is, don't ask because I will be very disappointed in you for not knowing. But ok, here are some hints: Arrested Development, Juno, Superbad.

Jesse surprised me tonight with a 9-month anniversary present of a Starbucks Gold Card. This means I will enjoy 10% off every purchase. Basically, 30-ish cents per visit. The card costs $25 annually, so I will make up the difference (had I paid in the first place) in approximately 3 days. That's how much Starbucks I inhale.

Thus, tomorrow, I intend to sleep in until 10:00 (Tuesday & Thursday, I don't go in until 11) and go to Starbucks where I will purchase my tall non-fat chai latte for only $2.80. Then, I will go to my UW advising job. My, my, my. I like the sound of that.

5 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Glad to have you back.

A Starbucks Gold Card - that is way better than jewelry! Way to go, Jesse!

Unknown said...

I love the randomness - thanks! And I agree with Kari...way to go Jesse on the Starbucks gold card :)

Nicole said...

Yay, Peggy!! It's nice to read about the inner workings, well, some of the inner workings, of your life again.

Anonymous said...

A bad omen, huh? I can relate to that. LOL

Swiftyjess said...

I was wondering what was up with the Starbucks Gold Card!
Let's meet for Starbucks soon. I could use one and a visit from you!