Thursday, January 15, 2009

My First Massage

I have wanted to get a professional massage for months. I think it's bad posture causing awful back pain, and have been wanting to nip it in the bud.

Today, I walked over to New Seattle Massage on The Ave, and they had an available appointment. After informing the receptionist that I would be remaining fully clothed (Miss Modesty, I know), I settled into the chair to wait for my masseur.

When I entered the massage room, I saw the table with the head pad thingy. All I could think of was the Friends episode where Phoebe falls for a hot guy that she massages, and makes sure her feet are perfectly pedicured because when he is getting a massage and has his head on the head pad thingy, all he can see are her feet. And she gets the guy by "feet flirting."

Mr. Masseur had a very soothing voice, and he chatted with me for a few minutes about massage therapy. He encouraged me to consider the non-fully clothed option for a better massage, and I caved. (There was no "feet flirting.")

For the next 60 minutes, all my pent-up stress was beat out of me. Oy. He told me I am "inflammed" in many areas. As if I didn't know that 2008 inflammed me. During the massage, he told me all kinds of stuff about healthful living...yoga, veganism, and Epsom salt baths. I also promised Mr. Masseur that I would set a reminder on my Outlook calendar every 20 minutes to do some conscious deep breathing. Sure, dude. Every 20 minutes, like clockwork.

60 minutes can pass fast when you're having the hell beat outta you. I recommend it, though.

Totally.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah!! I LOVE massages. Don't get them that often for financial reasons, but...I love when I do get them. I'm so glad you reconsidered on the clothes :)
Remember to breathe deeply (and I'll try to remember not to clench my jaw!) and I hope you get many more massages!!

And...about the 24 thing...totally not a big deal. Chris is a few years younger than me. One of my best friends married a guy who is 6 or 7 years younger than her. It totally doesn't matter. Just wanted to throw that out there :)
Happy weekend!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL...I've never had a massage either because I want to keep my clothes on and don't want to be talked into taking them off. I'm afraid it will feel icky to have people touching me like that. I don't even like pedicures. Yes, I'm weird.

Senegal Daily said...

I've only had one 'real' massage and looooved it. Mmmm... So did you make an appointment to go back in a bit? Or just going to try the deep breathing? ;)

I don't know how I missed this post. I didn't see it on my blogroll, so am just now catching up.

Swiftyjess said...

As a massage therapist...
I am so glad you got to experience one!
I'd be happy to work on you at any time if you are more comfortable with a female practitioner :-)
To your clothes-on friends, (if they care) experience massage! If you want to keep your clothes on, perhaps try getting a neck massage only OR you can leave your clothes on! I've worked on clothes-on only people and while it isn't the same for them (or for me) it can still be important!!