Tuesday, October 28, 2008

the Fremont canal

The past few days have been perfect in Seattle, weather-wise. The sun has been shining and the temperature has been in the mid-60s with the colored leaves falling all around.

I decided to take a walk in my neighborhood, Fremont, down to the canal. I stopped at a bench, sat, and reflected on things.

I had started turning to my father for wisdom in decisions this year, something I hadn't done for a long time. He kept surprising me with his discernment. I should've given him those chances years earlier. Now that I am on this path, this Failure Road, I wish I could call him and ask him what to do. He would probably surprise me with just the right answer.

The last time I saw him healthy was when I came to Corpus for his retirement. When I had my random move-for-a-month to Denton in May, I decided Corpus was too far to drive for a visit and I didn't make it to Corpus during that time before moving back to Seattle. An opportunity missed.

I hope it is still awhile before I begin to forget...his voice, what his hands looked like. Right now I can remember so clearly that it makes his death seem not real. Like I could just pick up the phone and he'd say, "Hel-LO?" in the way only he did. Instead, I picked up the phone and was informed by an operator that his number is no longer in service. Indeed.

But for now, I remember.

8 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Hi Pegs,

Thanks for writing this post. It's a beautiful tribute to your dad.

Love, K

Anonymous said...

Hi Peggy,
Since I have experienced this, I can tell you that it will probably be a long while before you forget. Take care, Karina

Unknown said...

Hi Peggy...

Not really sure what to say about this post, or the previous one. But (again, even though our friendship is via the internet) - I want you to know that I'm thinking about you, praying for you, my heart is hurting with you, and I'm sending you a hug.

Love,
Kate

Nicole said...

Honey, I hope you never completely forget. Hugs and love to you.

mrs. darling said...

Your writing is so beautiful. Your words are dripping with the love you feel for your dad.

Swiftyjess said...

Thank you for sharing these parts of you with us.

Abby said...

I hope you never forget.

I love you and will wrap you up in prayer every chance I get.

Love, Abby

Anonymous said...

update time, peggy. :-) love,karina