Tuesday, October 21, 2008

May I have one graduation with a side of ice cream, please?

Daddy came to graduation when I completed my masters degree in August 2006. My father, who rarely took a day off and had not flown on an airplane since the 80s (seriously), flew up to Dallas of his own accord and attended the graduation. He stayed the weekend, and we had more fun than we had in ages.

He had never been to (or heard of) Braum's, where the most amazing ice cream treats are made, so I took him while he was in town. We were eating ice cream when I looked up and saw that he had half a scoop hanging off the front of his cowboy hat. And he had no clue.

Let me explain the relationship between my father and his cowboy hat. They were always together. He protected the hat from rain with a shower cap-like thing. The hat was prized above all else. And there it was, being stained by a half scoop of ice cream. Who knows how that ice cream got there, but it sent both of us reeling with laughter (raucous, tears-flowing laughter) for a good ten minutes.

August 2006 Family Photo
Me, Wilbert, Daddy

6 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

I love the fam photo - and the story. How on earth did the ice cream get on his hat?? That's awesome.

Nicole said...

Very sweet story.

Anonymous said...

You will come out strong....not without heartache but with a strength and wisdom beyond your years. Be gentle with yourself and give yourself some time. Karina

Abby said...

I love you, and I love your stories.

Abbs

mrs. darling said...

That is the most hilarious story I have heard all week! How in the world did he get ice cream on his cowboy hat?!

Your posts cause my heart to ache with you. It's an honor and privelage to grieve with you. It's odd, I've never met you in person and yet I consider you a friend. If you need anything, please let me know.

Anonymous said...

Though I hadn't seen Randy in years, his passing still hurt. He was a kind, good soul and will be missed. This story made me laugh and tear up at the same time, thank you for sharing. Have you shared this with Gayle?