Friday, December 05, 2008

Life without Grandma

Grandma passed away at 5:36 am on Wednesday, December 3, 2008 in her sleep.

Grandma, fondly known as G-ma Holmes by my friend Amy or Aama by yours truly, was 87 years old and had lived with her niece Barbara and Barbara's daughter Kim since April 2008. They made her last several months as wonderful as possible, in a home filled with laughter and love.

Anyone who has followed this blog for awhile had probably figured out that Grandma and I were super close. I was her only grandchild, and we lived in the same zip code for many, many years so that's the start of a close relationship. But Grandma was special. Her casa was mi casa. Literally, in 3 separate instances of my life we shared a home.

Memories of Aama:
I called her in the middle of the night if I couldn't sleep or had exciting news, and she always answered her phone (even if she usually dropped it trying to wake up).

When I was little, I watched Mary Poppins or Bedknobs & Broomsticks or Tom Sawyer at her house every single day.

My friends and I would fingerpaint on her back porch.

I went to the kindergarten class she taught.

Feeding seagulls on the Corpus Christi beach.

Many, many talks on the phone.

Popping in to her house after work to chit chat.

Discovering she had painted her guest bathroom toilet seat with flowers when I sat down and it scared me.

Seeing her flip someone off on the road...nothing like an old lady bird finger. And completely out of character for her, but hilarious.

Her 84th birthday--I made her cupcakes, gave her daisies, took her to a CC Hooks baseball game, and got her favorite soup from Kiko's.

Going to Houston Astros games.

When I promised her if the Astros made it to the World Series, I'd watch with her...and then they did. So I did. And they lost 4 straight games. Bummer.

When she helped pay for my college so I could go to the university I wanted.

When I wanted to get Wilbert and that meant he'd have to live at her house for 2 weeks before I moved to Denton and she said no but I wore her down til she caved and then she became Wilbert's biggest fan.

Sitting at her dining room table relaying some story while she made baby quilts for unwed mothers.

The first time she told me she was part of a ladies' group called "Bodacious Babes."

When her favorite cat got mauled by some horrible dog and I tried to rescue it without being mauled myself. Grandma had a broom out and was ready to go take on this rabid beast until I stopped her.

Holidays always at Grandma's house.

Her broccoli & cheese casserole.

When she started to ramble.

Dropping in to find her listening to the Astros on the radio.

Her cats. Lots of them.

The way she decided to stop doing things when the time was right.She couldn't drive anymore, so she stopped. She couldn't live by herself anymore, so she moved. She knew what to do and did it.

A massive VHS collection with old movies like South Pacific and every Cosby Show made.

After Mama died, she had her son-in-law (Daddy) for dinner every Sunday until this year.

Her dainty hands.

Her beautiful smile. And she always wore it.

When Mama died, and she became my mama.

26 more days of 2008, and I will not mind saying goodbye to it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Peggy,
I can see that it has been a rough year for you in many ways. When losses occur around Christmas it is especially hard (my father died December 18). I don't know what to say other than I will pray for you. I don't say that lightly, either. I was wondering how things were going for you.---Karina

Senegal Daily said...

I love these in particular. They show such wisdom, compassion, love.

-making baby quilts for unwed mothers.

-deciding to stop doing things when the time was right. She knew what to do and did it.

- fingerpainting on her back porch.

- having her son-in-law for dinner every Sunday.

- becoming your Aama and mama.

Anonymous said...

Peggy,

I was so sad to hear the news about the loss of your grandmother, someone so special in your life. She left you such a wonderful heritage, and her life was filled with love. You are in my prayers for your loss.
Debbie

Nicole said...

I was so sorry to read your email about your grandma's passing. I really do hope the New Year brings a fresh start. Love - Nicole

Anonymous said...

hey peggy - sara told me about your gramma. i'm praying for you this holiday season.

i'm with you on the new year thing. i've had my "fill" of 2008. i'm ready for a new year.

i hope all is well in the northwest and you're staying warm. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Peggy- I just wanted to let you know that I've heard all your news over the past bit... your losses and struggles... and you are in my thoughts. I'm happy to see you had fun at Christmas and hope you had an equally good new year's. Hang in there :)

Swiftyjess said...

Hi,
I'm late to this post although I did hear about your grandma's passing via email you sent to me.
I'm happy to hear that you had such a wonderful influence and friend in your life. She sounds like an amazing, funny, compassionate and lovely woman, especially if you are any reflection of her.