Thursday, May 17, 2007

What a year...

A year ago today, I moved to Denton to work as an academic advisor in the School of Visual Arts at the University of North Texas. What's happened in a year?

On the drive up to Denton, I got my first (and hopefully only) speeding ticket. Christine & I were driving UNDER the limit most of the trip b/c of the u-haul and I accidentally sped through a school zone in a little town. Boo.

I have discovered that I do indeed want to work in higher education. The purpose of coming here for a year was not to add yet another move to my list (oh, what an annoying long list--I will settle down sometime soon). The purpose was to find out if working in higher education was really for me before pursuing a doctorate in said field. The purpose was accomplished.

I found a church home almost immediately thanks to a random friendship. The Village has been my home this year. It's where nearly every friendship I have here was made and flourished. The Village has so many opportunities that God gave me ample opportunity to use MY gifts for Him. I didn't have to fit a square peg in a round hole. I have written articles. I have loved on babies. I have led a home group. I have experienced God.

Speaking of leading home group, I can't even begin to describe that experience. I was a member of one (kind of) one day and a leader of one the next. 6 girls in October grew to 19 in December which resulted in a multiplication of groups. Our new 8 grew to 15 (including one running off to get married). God is being glorified.

I have been able to go home several times. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Tony's inauguration, Grandma's birthday. Next year, that will not be the case.

I went to New Orleans for New Year's and will go again Memorial Day weekend. How odd to go twice in such a short time to this random city. I really was impacted by the uniqueness of New Orleans. Art, music (jazz, of course), acceptance of the individual, appreciation of tourists by the local businesses still re-couping from Katrina, red beans & rice, and beignets. Who could ask for more?

It was my first full year to feel like an actual adult. I had my own place, my own job and did my own thing. There is a feeling of triumph. Yet, I do not want to become consumed with the American dream of independence and "making it," only to forget I've only come to this point because of others. Also, the American dream pales in comparison to the sights and sounds of Africa. The African dream is comprised of simplicity and family (the definition of family is much broader there). Africans know what is truly necessary to live life. And their appreciation is much higher because of this.

It's been a good year. Someone asked me recently how many friends I have who truly love ME. This requires them to really know me. Two of them are friendships made here this year.

A lot can happen in a year. A year from now, I will be in Seattle. Completing my first year of doctoral studies. Working who knows where. Living who knows where. My community will be who knows who. A lot can happen in a year.

3 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Excellent reflection, Pegs.

Nicole said...

What a great look back. You are so right. A lot can happen in a year.

Nicole said...

OK - It is Thain (as in Feign) -y (ee); so Theignee. :)