Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Torrential Downpour...In My Car

It's been awhile since I've shared a good Wilbert story...well, this is only quasi-Wilbert, but he is in it, so...

I got back from Oklahoma last weekend at about 1:00 a.m. I unloaded my car in the drizzling rain and fell into bed. Torrential rain fell all night and the storms kept waking me up. The next morning a little before noon (11 hours later for you math geniuses), I went to my car so I could make the trip to Fort Worth to pick up Wilbert.

I walked toward my car and could not believe my eyes. My driver's side door was open. No, folks. Not the window. The DOOR.

I wondered if someone had tried to steal the car and had been unsuccessful. Since I have moved to Denton, I have received several notes from the apartment management about assaults and car theft (not to mention my laundry theft incident, which they did NOT report to the rest of the apartment community--I was miffed). So you can imagine my thoughts as I approached my car.

I'm not altogether sure, but I think this is what happened: 1) I went around to the passenger side to finish unloading the car. 2) I took the trash to the nearby dumpster. 3) I did NOT return to the driver's side to close the door.

Like I said, there were torrential downpours the entire night. My car was soaked. It now smells absolutely disgusting. I don't think Wilbert was very happy when I picked him up. He crinkled his nose and buried his face. Poor Wilbert. Here's my bone to pick: Little boys steal my laundry. But, when I leave my car door wide open, not one thing is missing from my car. Are you kidding me?

In other news...

Those of you who have known me for any amount of time know that I have had this awful nail biting habit since the womb.

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I think I have broken the 28 year old habit. I have had triumphant moments before where I thought I conquered this issue...only to find that "The Bourne Identity" or some nerve-wracking event destroyed me.

However, this time, I believe I have won. I have gorgeous nails that are all mine. This may be a little gross for those of you who have issues with touching your eyes, but the major sign of my victory is that my nails are long enough that I now have to slide my contacts out instead of simply pulling them. A strange way to measure success, granted...but it works!

4 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

First, great writing, Pegs.

Second - there is no good reason for the AD to lose your trust. You made a very good decision to leave to take make the call about your previosuly scheduled appointment - that was your job and you acted responsibly. But if the AD couldn't make it, and you explain your anxieties, and you were still asked to go to an hour meeting...I think you made the best possible decision.

Chin up!

Peggy said...

Actually, I meant the reverse. I have lost trust IN the Dean...he threw me to the wolves! :)

Senegal Daily said...

Oh. Well that makes much more sense! I was so mad on your behalf. :)

I love that you referenced the Bourne Identity nail-biting incident, by the way.

Nicole said...

Sorry about the downpour in your car!! I hope it has been aired out. Hope you are doing well!!

Take care,
Nicole