Friday, September 02, 2005

praying for Katrina victims

The only two people I know personally who lived in New Orleans were girls in West Africa with me. Julie and Tiffany both evacuated before the hurricane, but were told they would only be gone for 3-4 days so they took nothing with them. Now, with unsure futures, I am filled with compassion for them and the millions whose lives have been turned upside down by Katrina.

As I try to wrap my mind around the images, videos, and written records I've seen on TV and the Internet this week, I wonder how to pray, and what to ask God for. At this moment, I feel I can only worship and adore, because asking seems like too big a task. I wonder how Romans 8:28 will come to pass, but believe that it will.

In September 2002, I moved to a tiny village in central Ivory Coast. Two weeks later, our supervisors planned a team retreat in Mali for 5 days. Robin and I packed for our short trip, planning to return and continue life in Babadougou within a week. The people of our village were already very dear friends to us. We didn't know we would never be back. The day before our scheduled return to Ivory Coast, a civil war caused by government rebels tore the country in half. The city with the most violence and warfare was less than an hour from our little village.

3 years later, I have found that life does go on...even though for awhile it seems to stand still. The orchestration of the events since September 2002 have been obviously touched by God's loving hand, and all I can do is worship...though terror had reigned for a short time, the victory is His. I have seen Romans 8:28 brought to fruition by the events in my personal life, and believe it will come to fruition in time for those who have been victimized by Katrina.

Elihu said to Job in chapter 33, verse 14, 29-30: "God always answers, one way or another, even when people don't recognize his presence. This is the way God works. Over and over again. He pulls our souls back from certain destruction so we'll see the light--and live in the light!"

No comments: