Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Day 2


Peggy and Cire Niang

Hi everyone,

Day 2 has come and gone! I had a great day...things are going RIDICULOUSLY smooth for those of you who know how "plans" go in West Africa!

I spent most of the day with my old neighbors, the Niang family. Ndeye, the mom, failed to tell me when I talked to her yesterday, that she would be in the Gambia (the country south of Senegal) for a couple of days! So I hung out with the rest of the clan...they had moved to a new house since I left so Pappy, the 18-ish year old, met me at the old place and we went to the new one. It was so fun to be with them again! They had all grown so much, it was ridiculous! I was like one of those old people at family reunions who keeps saying "My, how you've grown!"...except I said it in French and Wolof.

Anyway, I just spent the day West Africa-style...hanging out, eating some great rice and sauce, and hanging out, and drinking attaya (the 3 rounds of tea), and playing with the kids. Yacine, who was 3 months old when I left, is now almost 2 years old and she walks and talks...so crazy! Cire, who was a WILD child, has calmed down and now speaks French, thanks to being in school...I hung out with him a lot today.

So...here's a picture attached from today of me and Cire.
Tomorrow, Patricia and I are taking public transport (prayer request #1) to find Assane and Ousseynou, my babies (prayer request #2).
Love you guys!
Peggy

No comments: