Thursday, September 29, 2011

Jonesin' to write...

So, I have gone through periodic bouts over the years where I really get the itch to do some writing. For me, it's primarily personal narrative writing. Examples of previous writing include experiences with boys, having an eating disorder, or simply Grandma. After living in Africa, I started to write about that (didn't get too far, and now I fear it's been too long...I went there TEN years ago on October 30, 2001, which is pure crazy).

Today, I got the itch again. I start doing rather drastic things, as I tend to do in my melodramatic, black-or-white, all-or-nothing way, like researching MFA Creative Writing programs. Why would I do that to myself? I'm still in my EdD program!

Instead, maybe I should just enjoy it...but in truly type A fashion, I have created a mental list of the less formal approach to "becoming a creative writer" which includes:
1. Write. About anything that comes to mind.
2. Show it to friends. Preferably ones who know good writing when they see it and are good writers themselves.
3. Try to submit it to some sort of writing contest or publication. See if they think it's any good.

And finally, a list of potential topics that I could write about from a personal narrative perspective:
A. Africa...rather than the entire time, some poignant experiences though I still dream of a memoir (previous planned title: Memoire d'Afrique)
B. Family...losing, gaining, what IS family, anyway? potential title: Who is the "we" in We Are Family?
C. This body I call my own...about gaining and losing 30 pounds, TWICE; eating disorder and beauty issues; potential title: The 30 Pound Yo-Yo, and All that Comes with It
D. Faith, or the lack thereof...probably titled...that.
E. Boss...focusing on how raising a puppy is like having a kid; title: The Dog as Child
F. Just some miscellaneous Misadventures that incorporates all of the above, sort of in Anne Lamott fashion; potential title: How I Stole Anne Lamott's Idea and Wrote a Miscellaneous Book about the Things that Matter to Me. What, too long?

By the way, my favorite part of writing is coming up with titles.

So, that's what's on my mind today. Writing. Incidentally, I'm reading The Help. Fantastic book. Makes me want to write a novel. But I think I would suck at fiction.

4 comments:

mrs. darling said...

it's like you read my mind and typed an entry about it. i've been thinking about this very topic lately, also.

i wish you would write some of your memories from africa. i really want to read about them. REALLY. i'm always obsessed with how people view africa after having lived there. it's so complicated, you know?

also, i'm impressed with your titles. titles are the worst part for me.

Erin said...

I LOVE The Help. So good. I'm with Mrs. Darling: your titles are impressive.

I also get that writing itch...I'm starting to write down my memories of living in a post-soviet culture. I'm afraid I'll forget them.

I want to read your Africa memories. Please? I'm sure they'll all be awesome, but I really want to read the Senegal ones. Just saying.

Senegal Daily said...

I like Anne Lamotting of these together. Then if, as you write, one shoots out at you - you can save it for a more in-depth topic at a later date.

I'll be the very first person to buy your book(s) and all my friends will get them as Christmas gifts.

Oh, and my favorite part of writing is into sections.

Summer said...

Pegs, you should totally do it. You have always been a gifted writer! God gave you those gifts for a reason. I know you don't really believe in Him anymore, but he still believes in you. And I love your titles. :)