Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Story time: Pegs blows up at the U-haul place.

I asked, you responded. So you get 3 stories.

1. Peggy's explosion at the U-haul place.

On Thursday, I called and reserved a truck for Sunday. The man said I could come pick it up at 8:30 am and have it until 2:30 pm. This was great, since I had friends meeting to help with the move at 9:00 am.

On Sunday, I arrive at the U-haul place (with Jesse & Boss). U-haul Dude can't find my name. I give him my confirmation # (sometimes being Type A comes in very handy). He finds my name, but says no truck is assigned to my name and I'm not on the time schedule. Then he says he has to process all the trucks that came in that morning before he can tell me if he has a truck. About 20 minutes have passed, so I call Roommate and tell her I won't be there by 9 and to tell the guys to just start moving stuff down to the curb.

I ask U-haul Dude why he can't just count the # of trucks he has and # of people already reserved to see if he has enough to give me one. He says he has to actually process them.
I still have not heard an apology. What I have heard is "I wasn't the one you talked to on Thursday, so this isn't my fault."

SERIOUSLY?

So I lose it. I yell at him that he needs to tell me RIGHT NOW if he will have a truck because people are arriving at my house NOW to help, he has my name right there that I made a reservation, and I need to start calling other U-haul places if he doesn't have one. He tells me to "have some patience."

I gave Jesse a LOOK and told him to "handle it."

Then Boss and I went outside and paced in the parking lot.

Fast forward to 9:20. U-haul Dude finally says he has a truck for me, but I have to bring it back at 1:30. So I am getting the truck an hour late and being told to return it an hour late. That, my math geniuses, is two hours less time with the truck. I ask if I will get a discount for the poor service and having the truck for less time than I was promised. U-haul Dude says he doesn't have the authority to do that, but I can pay in full today and contact the supervisor for a refund.

U-haul Dude then spends a good 10 minutes taking down my information. The same information that I already gave Thursday U-haul Dude on the phone.

When we returned later with the truck, we were early (thanks to Jesse and 3 Super Non-U-haul Dudes who moved me soooo fast) and U-haul Dude wanted a high five for the way things worked out.

SERIOUSLY??

I hmphed.

3 comments:

Love, Me said...

I hope you call headquarters and majorly complain. No reservation, shortened time, and poor customer service....ugh!

Senegal Daily said...

1) I'm blaming Alec on my tardiness in reading/commenting. He's currently passed out in the baby sling, so I actually have 2 hands free + 20 mins of 'me' time.

2) Wow. I thought America had MUCH better customer service than this.

3) Glad it all worked out. Pics of the nes place?

4) I mis-read this line:
"Then Boss and I went outside and paced in the parking lot." And thought it said you both PEED in parking lot.

Erin said...

Brad and I had a rough U-haul experience recently, too! What's the deal??