Thursday, August 11, 2011

Ode to Fremont.

In Seattle, the neighborhoods have names (along the lines of the burroughs in NYC). My neighborhood is called Fremont, and I love her dearly. As a local of Fremont for 2 years, I have favorites that may not be what you would read about (though some certainly are) in the media.

Fremont fondly calls herself (and others have picked up on the nickname) the "Center of the Universe." There is a Center of the Universe sign six blocks south of my place which indicates all the lovely places you can go and how far they are from the Center. It can also can help you if you've gotten lost. (Milky Way? Sure, we can get you there.).


There's some of the best food in Seattle, nay, the COUNTRY. Paseo, a Carribbean restaurant, has been featured on The Food Network as having the #2 sandwich in the country (I beg to differ) and is, fortunately for me, located at the end of my block. I get the Rice, Bean, Thigh Trio each Wednesday evening...extra thigh, please.


One place I could NOT live without is Norm's Ale House & Brewery. It's a short walk down the hill from my place so we get a warm-up before inhaling some of the best food in the area, like Norm's fried chicken. Since adopting Boss in March, Norm's has become a staple in our household. Why? Because Norm's is one of the VERY few restaurants where Boss is a welcome guest. What you see below is the common experience at Norm's.



If I want to rent a movie, I have no need to drive to Hollywood Video or Blockbuster...I actually have no need to drive at all. Video Isle is a local video store with any tv series or dvd I have ever searched for (which is amazing because it's teeny tiny), is 3 blocks from my place, AND gives you a free (and HUGE) milk bone for your pooch. Boss is a fan of Video Isle. And Video Isle is a fan of Boss. During our last visit, the owner attempted to teach Boss to shake. (It's a work in progress.)



Need some toilet paper, but don't want to go ALL THE WAY to the grocery store? It's Marketime to the rescue! Located just two blocks from my place, it has an espresso stand where I can pick up any drink for under $3, awesome donuts/pastries, fabulous ready-to-eat items like a sesame noodle salad, or that "quick-I-need-ice-cream-now" moment.


Those are my regular haunts, but there are countless other amazing restaurants, shops, and charming local stops that I visit infrequently but still adore.

Finally, on my "To Try" list, a new eatery called Pie. I mean, how yummy does this look?


You can just imagine my excitement when Jesse and I found the perfect apartment just 3 blocks from where I currently live (which, if you have kept track, places me NEXT DOOR (literally) to Marketime, ONE block from Video Isle, TWO blocks from Paseo, and EIGHT blocks from downtown Fremont). Also? It has hardwood floors, which means I am going to continuously laugh my tail end off at Boss sliding around trying to play with his toys. Move-in: less than 3 weeks.

PS Image of Paseo from here, Norm's from here, Video Isle from here, Marketime from here, and Pie from here.


4 comments:

Andrea said...

i want to go to there.

Anonymous said...

two thumbs up for profiling all local, independent shops!!! AND a gold star!

ps. mmm, pie.

-gina

mrs. darling said...

oklahoma is so lame. there aren't any restaurants here where you can take a dog.

but we do have sonic. so, boo-yah.

mrs. darling said...

allie feeds off my emotions too! whenever i am crying she will climb the wall to try and get to me and lick my face. and it freaks her out when i'm sick...i had the stomach flu last winter. we about had to slip her some valium.