Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day

I don't know why, but Father's Day makes me super sad.

Mother's Day doesn't really.

Which doesn't make too much sense, since they are both gone.

But I have some theories:
1. Mama's been gone 14 years. Daddy's been gone less than 3.
2. Mama was super sick and it was less surprising. Daddy's was a tragedy of ridiculous proportions.
3. When Mama went, I still had Daddy. And Grandma. And my grandfather (we called "Dad"). When Daddy went, I had...

So, maybe that explains why on Mother's Day I don't have too much issue reading a billion Facebook statuses (stati?) and blog posts oozing love and sentiment about all the wonderful mothers out there. But the Daddy posts? Skip.

So, here's my Daddy post.
When I think of Daddy, I think of:
*his cowboy hat
*country music from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s...a little 90s but he thought it became too "rock" to qualify as real country
*biggo belt buckles, countrified
*summer vacation at the ranch
*dependability
*naps!
*loyalty
*fried chicken--mmm
*quirky humor
*Nick at Nite
*the highest metabolism...EVER.
*love

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

I love this: "a little 90s but he thought it became too "rock" to qualify as real country." That's awesome :)

Thanks for sharing these, Pegs.

mrs. darling said...

this is achingly beautiful. thank you for sharing it with us. there is something about girls and their daddys...