Wednesday, April 06, 2011

pilates and kickball...a combustible combination.

Even though I haven't been "working out" (as in go to the gym, hop on a treadmill or elliptical, do some weight machines, etc), I've been working out...

Kickball--it's Spring season with Underdog Sports and our team is 1-1! Yesterday I was in some serious pain, and felt ridiculous that it was due to kickball. But I take my kickball seriously, and so it became true...no pain, no gain. But I pained (slid into a base and scraped my knee, dove for a fly ball) and then I gained (we won 13-2!). Here's our fierce team:


Pilates--my friend Kelly is a Pilates believer. I mean, believer. She's been taking Reformer Pilates classes, which is totally different from mat pilates, and convinced Roommate and me to join her for an intro series.

We walked in and the "Reformer" looked like it should be named "Torture Device, the thing which can kill you in 1,000 ways". Here's the Reformer:


The first class? Snooze fest. We practiced breathing. Breathing is a work out? We also practiced contracting kegels. Do you know what kegels are? The instructor told us to pretend like we had started to pee, and wanted to stop mid-stream. Now, that's an odd way to teach an exercise. So, I thought about it and decided I needed to go home and practice to make sure I was doing my kegels right.

We did our sixth class in the series of seven last night, and whew. We are doing all kinds of crazy things with this machine, including some of the moves you can find here. Seriously, click on it. You have to see what we are doing on these machines...all the while contracting our kegels.

So, I've been working out without working out. And believe me, it's a work out.

Also, Jesse & I should be having our flying trapeze class at Emerald City next weekend. Yep, for our 3 year anniversary, I told him I wanted us to take a flying trapeze class.

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Kegels in Pilates? That's a new one for me. But hey - you'll be in top birthing shape!

mrs. darling said...

my dr keeps yapping at me about kegels. i hate them, they make me anxious for some reason. of course, i'll probably pee my pants after i give birth constantly, but WHATEVER.

also, whenever you mention your kickball team i always think it's dodgeball and think of the movie, Dodgeball. then i just sit and laugh for a few minutes.

i was thinking of what my "american thing" was while in africa. apparently it was west wing and overeating. don't you love how africa screws with your head?!