Saturday, April 23, 2011

Leavenworth and A Spring Day

Part I: Leavenworth
This past week, I went to a work conference in Wenatchee, Washington. Six of the advisors were able to attend and do some fabulous bonding...which may or may not have included 4 mixed drinks in a 2 hour period for yours truly as well as jumbo margaritas at a local Mexican restaurant for all.

The weather was gorgeous, as it tends to be on the east side of the mountains, and Friday was sunny with a chance of good times in Leavenworth, WA on the way back to Seattle. Since I had never been, the others opted to take this Texan on a tour of Leavenworth, which is basically Little Germany seated in the middle of Washington state. See for yourself...

Note: The mountain is real.


Downtown Leavenworth


Das Sweet Shop
Anna, me, and Felicia with our delectables


"Hat Shop"..."Wood Shop"...serious creativity going on here.


The six advisors: Judy, Felicia, me, Anna, Joy with Rina in front
I had so much fun getting to know them OUTSIDE the office!


Saying goodbye to Leavenworth...

Of course, I had to buy Boss a little something from Leavenworth. At the town's pet store, A Paw Above, they sell all kinds of German pet clothing. Not one to overdo it, I decided on this simple hat. I think it suits him rather nicely.


I know it's blurry, but you can still see how CUTE it is!


Part II: Finally, a Spring day!
In other Earth-shattering news, the temperature in Seattle SOARED today to...64 degrees! It was that first truly sunny, spring day when it feels like there is a glimmer of hope that you aren't going to die because in late April, it has STILL been cold enough to need your coat and gloves whilst your Texan friends are fine-tuning their tans. That first day of Spring hope is also when the Seattleites come out of the woodwork and load up the canines and babies for a day outside.

Leah and I took Sophie and Boss on a 2.5 hour walk down Fremont to the Burke-Gilman Trail and GasWorks Park (remember the paintball scene in the movie 10 Things I Hate About You? that was at Gas Works).

What happens when I take Boss, a 16 week old Westie puppy, out in public:
1. Approximately every third person stops to say hi, ask what kind he is, what his name is, and compliment how adorable he is. Let me be honest: I LOVE IT. I take it as a personal compliment to ME and love the attention. It's moments like those that erase his finest moment last night, which involved peeing on my down comforter at 8:30 pm, requiring me to stay up until 11 pm cleaning it after returning from the above work conference.

2. At Gas Works, a few college kids (I'm guessing) sitting on a blanket 10 feet away kept commenting on how cute he was. Boss kept pulling to go towards them, so I just let him go. He played for several minutes with the college kids. Who by the way, read his name tag which says "BOSS" on one side and "Peggy, cell#, SEATTLE, WA" on the other, and wanted to call him Peggy. Seriously? The future of America right there.

3. Walking back to our place, a guy backed out of his driveway and into the street, then takes notice of us. While in the middle of the street, he yells out his car window, "Is that a Westie?" So I say yes. We do the usual--how old, what's his name--and THEN he asks if he can take a picture of Boss for his girlfriend who loves Westies. I am so not kidding. So, Boss took his first celebrity photo. In the middle of the street.

4. Boss crapped out on the walk about 10 blocks from home, so I got to carry him the rest of the way. I'm sure he looked more than slightly spoiled. But at least he wasn't like one of those dogs in a stroller. (Or apparently, a Moby wrap is the new thing.)

Makes you want a Westie, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

please don't moby your dog. LOL
i can't wait to see you!!!
(from Joanne)

Senegal Daily said...

Awesome.

I love the little hat with a feather! Very 'Sound of Music'.

I saw Allie in a Moby Wrap. Reminded me of carrying Bud in a pagne. You may be a lot closer to tying Boss on than you think... Maybe a plaid wrap? Something with a little red to match his new topper?

mrs. darling said...

i love that you noted the mountain is real because i looked at that photo and thought, "whoa, that looks fake!" and that's what happens when you grow up in oklahoma.

i'm working on convincing my parents to get a westie. they are so freaking adorable! and i will post a pic of allie in our baby wrap. she actually liked it...i think.

also, when allie was around boss' age she peed on our down comforter also. and chad and i got in a disagreement and in what appeared to be her taking sides with me, she peed on his pillow in the night. it was AWESOME.

Erin said...

Pegs- remember that post a whiiile back about bathrooms? Yeah. I think about you EVERY time I head in there and someone chooses the stall right next to mine- despite the 6 other options.

And, your dog is really cute.