Saturday, April 02, 2011

On residency and roots.

As of one week ago, I am officially a Washington state resident. The most immediate benefit of this was watching my tuition for 2 credits go from $2,600 to $1,089 in a matter of hours. :)

Letting go of my Texas residency is hard, but easier when I realize that I will always be a Texan. My roots go deeper than voter registration, license plates, and bank accounts. My roots go to a place where the heat is a comfort, the Gulf Coast is familiar, flip flops are a fashion staple, and country music runs through my veins. So I will always, always be a Texan.

But I decided in light of my new residency, I wanted to reflect on the things I have come to love about my new state:
1. My best friend and love, Jesse
2. Looking out my living room window to see Mount Rainier and the Cascades in all their glory.
3. August and September, when the temperature averages 75-80 degrees.
4. The evergreen trees.
5. Delicious food--organic, local, Asian, breakfast specialties
6. Playing adult league kickball
7. Dogs, dogs everywhere...including my own
8. My job and the people I work with who have quickly become friends
9. Best Roommate Ever
10. Being able to walk one block from my place to a coffee shop, yoga studio, pizza place, or a fabulous Caribbean restaurant that was featured on the The Food Network
11. Amazing things to do--incredible plays, trapeze lessons (coming soon!), pro sports, national film and improv comedy festivals, and more!

8 comments:

Andrea said...

I love all these things. You probably know I'm partial to lists anyway, but all these things sound like a beautiful life. Congrats on your new "residency"! :) And...um..can I just come visit you?

Marcy said...

I loved this post!! Maybe it's because I fully understand the love for both everything Texan and Seattle. Reading this stirs a great longing in my heart to return to the pacific northwest. I miss the mountains, evergreens, food, weather and you.

Swiftyjess said...

Congratulations on your residency~!

Unknown said...

I am happy for you Pegs - we will always love you here in Texas, but it sounds so wonderful there and I so happy you are in such a good place!

Icy

Senegal Daily said...

Roots are a wonderful thing. So glad yours include country music :)

Anonymous said...

Traitor. :-)~ (Kidding)

becomingbianca said...

Congrats on your new "home!" And please, tell me more about these "breakfast specialties" - they sound scrumptious!

mrs. darling said...

speaking of country music, have you heard zack brown band's new song, colder weather? LOVE IT.

it's 75-80 there in august and september? HOLY HELL. that's unbelievable to me.

how is boss??