Monday, June 07, 2010

Ankle woes

On Thursday, I took the bus to my appointment. I had basically two options: take the #5 to downtown and transfer to the #8 to my destination or just take the #5 to downtown and walk the 10 or so blocks to my destination. I pondered the decision, and decided to take both buses.

As I stepped off the #8 onto the rocky patch of sidewalk the driver stopped at, I rolled my ankle. Ouch. I sat there on the ground while the driver asked if he could call someone for me. I said I had a phone and could call myself. I called Jesse and told him to come get me. Then I decided maybe this was like the times I've thought I hurt my ankle but after a few minutes, I'm okay. So I told Jesse I'd call him back in 10 minutes. I hobbled 2 blocks to my destination and took off my shoe & sock. After seeing that my ankle was the size of a softball, I called Jesse and told him to come get me.

Exhibit A

Two hours, a health clinic, and three x-rays later, I had myself a sprained ankle and a new mode of transportation, crutches.

I live on the second floor, and my building is like many in Seattle in that there's about ten steps just to get to the first floor. So I hopped and leaned on Jesse for a flight and a half of stairs (too scared for him to carry me). Since it's my right ankle and I can't drive, I settled into my place for awhile.

That was Thursday. The Women's College World Series on ESPN kept me company, even though my UW girls were eliminated on Saturday. :( On Sunday, I finally got out of the apartment for dinner at Dad Watson's with Jesse and our friends, John & Kiara.

We ended the evening with a trip to the grocery store...no way was I going to hobble around for groceries so I tried out one of those magnificent buggies they provide:

And the healing continues...

4 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

That is awesome. Sneak preview of Pegs as an old lady in a motorized cart. :)

Anonymous said...

LOL. I always wanted to ride one of those! :-)

mrs. darling said...

oh, WOW. the motorized cart picture made me snort from laughter. it's beyond AMAZING.

Lee Ryan said...

Gahhh!