Monday, April 12, 2010

What I've been up to, since clearly it isn't blogging...

Studying. I've been reading and reading, which is the typical beginning of the quarter sitch. Soon, it will transition into a little reading, but mostly writing as papers come due. Lucky for me, I like both.

Kickball. Our team had its second game yesterday, on a beautiful and sunny Sunday. I actually got hot in my one long-sleeve layer--yay for Spring! Sadly, we lost...and I am NOT a good loser. Somehow, I got nominated to pitch which was pretty fun. And I really like my teammates. I knew exactly one, my roommate who coordinated the team, so it's been great to meet new peeps.

Committee-making. I was able to meet with two faculty members who are both very interested in my topic, and able/willing to be on my committee! Yay! Three down, one to go.

Friends time. I've been able to spend time with some near 'n' dear ones...although my grad student budget may not be able to sustain this, unless I can find lots of free stuff to do. Roommate Leah has my social calendar planned through June, including Bat Boy: The Musical at the UW, the Seattle Symphony, and a Seattle Mariners game.

Exercising. Most days at the IMA, but I've branched out too...anyone done Zumba? I tried it on Saturday and it was a WORKOUT...think salsa meets hip hop meets aerobics. Really fun, really tiring. I was sweating like a...fill-in-the-blank, Mrs. Darling (you always have the best similes). However, while I've done really well with exercising, I've done very poorly at eating well. After Zumba, I had a Deluxe Huevos Rancheros brunch. Pretty sure those didn't quite balance out.

Jesse time. Have I mentioned how nice it is to actually see my boyfriend, and not rely on phone and video chats? Well, it is. And either he's gotten funnier, or I've gotten more...easy-to-make-laugher. Either way, I'll take it. Tomorrow is a special day for us...two year anniversary! And let me tell you, it's been an unconventional two years! Jesse is surprising me with dinner somewhere...don't know where yet, but I've told him I NEED to dress appropriately, so I'll need at least a hint. Although, Jesse enjoys bringing out my gullible side so he may find it hilarious to tell me it's a fancy place and take me to Taco Bell...or tell me it's a casual dive, and then I end up severely under-dressed and unable to get in to the fancy place he actually planned.

5 comments:

mrs. darling said...

i'm glad you posted again because your previous one made my head hurt...too much doctor-ish talk, thankyouverymuch.

dude, i SUCK at kickball. like, almost failed 4th grade P.E. because i suck so much.

zumba scares me. i'm way too friggin uncooridnated to DANCE for an hour. i would end up wounding people. also, i'm too white.

two years? nice, congrats. i hate when chad surprises me with dinner locations because he does not understand the need to dress appropriately. like, once i came home and he walked in the door after me and was wearing athletic shorts and dress shoes. BLACK DRESS SHOES WITH GYM SHORTS. and he went out in public like that. the site of him wearing that practically melted my brain.

Unknown said...

That all sounds so great Peggy! It actually couldn't sound better! Good for you!

I love it when things work out as they should.

Congratulations!

Icy

Senegal Daily said...

Zumba! We just ran an article on it, but I've never tried it. Sounded like fun though.

I think you should post on all those Seattle activities you've got planned. A grad-school budget girl's guide to freebies, or something.

Enjoy your surprise dinner - and take pictures of what you decide to wear!

Swiftyjess said...

happy anniversary!!

Swiftyjess said...

Hi,
(me again).
I might have some tips on free-ish things to do although I suspect you've done/seen them all by now.
Let me know if you want tip-olas!
(Seeing me is free - although I can't guarantee it will be peaceful with the kiddos underfoot. It does promise to be comical though).