Sunday, March 02, 2008

Surreality

Things don't seem real right now. I feel like I'm walking around in this dream-like trance, a fog of sorts. I'm not sure what it's about. I am doing things I don't do, and not doing things I do. I mean, normally. So, I thought I would title the post surreality.

My grandma is safe and sound in Plano, TX now. The house is just a memory. But you know, it's okay for the house to be a memory. It's just brick (and some other stuff). What made it what it was is Grandma. And I still have her. So all is well.

I started a book today called The Female Brain. I'm already intrigued, and wonder what will happen to my convinced state of mind that says gender stereotypes are boo-hockey, and it's all sociocultural anyway. Ah yes, the old nature vs. nurture dichotomy...what ever will we do?

I'm eating Thai for dinner tonight, and that is always exciting. Thai good.

4 comments:

Liz said...

As a mother of a little boy, I say it's not boo-hockey. I mean, he does have some non-typical things, like loving cats instead of dogs, and making his plastic animals kiss instead of fight, but it's very clear that he is obsessed with trains and helicopters, and is rough and tumble, and that he is all BOY. =)

Then I see little girls his age, who are obsessed with babies and playing house and all things GIRL. I know that I just watch what Nate's interested in, and then follow his lead (not the other way around). I think most parents do. So when it's so obvious, so young, to me it's definitely nature. At least mostly.

I do miss you. We need to chat.

Crystal said...

You probably don't remember me. I'm a cousin, of sorts. Gayle talked about your blog, so I found you. You write beautifully and I am interested in what you are doing and where you are in life, I always have been. I'm so impressed by your accomplishemnts.

I'm James Itschner's granddaughter, Crystal. I'd love to get in touch.

By the way, I have a great frito pie recipe that I'm willing to share with you.

Sara said...

Yeah, no one to get excited about...just a friend of mine...it's more the act of actually cooking a dinner that I've been wanting to make for so long that's exciting to me...

trust me, if there was someone in the picture, you would definitely hear about it...

Unknown said...

So....what kind of things are you doing that you don't normally do?? I mean...if I can be nosy... :)