Sunday, June 24, 2007

Pickle, anyone?

No, I'm not talking sweet, dill, or kosher. I'm talking about the quandry I have, and wondering if anyone else gets caught in this same pickle.

It is the pickle of the Single Girl's Two Natures.

Please assume no arrogance on my part as you read this, but simply how I honestly feel I convey myself in the situation.

When I'm talking to a guy that I don't really have much interest in, I'm awesome. I am witty, smart, and a great conversationalist. I don't care as much what I look like, yet somehow that seems to work for me. I'm comfortable in my own skin.

When I'm talking with a guy I find adorable, I turn into Bridget Jones. I'm a blubbering idiot who can hardly speak in complete sentences. I try to look amazing, which inevitably probably seems overdressed, and I feel completely awkward.

You want an example, don't you? Well, alright, I will indulge my faithful blog readers...

About 2 months ago, this happened in a phone conversation with a guy from the latter category. For some reason, my earpiece kept cutting in and out so I was having trouble hearing him, and he was definitely asking a question, but I couldn't get the last word. He asked, "Did you grow up with _____?" I needed the last word to be able to answer, of course, so I couldn't do what I usually do, which is pretend I understand and say, "Uh-huh...yeah." I asked him to repeat the question, so he did, and I heard the exact same question without the last word. Boo. So, completely embarrassed, I said I heard everything but the last word, to which he said, "____! Animals!" and I said, "OHHHHH...PETS!"

Ridiculous.

If you are reading this, Adorable Guy in Second Category, please know that I'm not deaf. I'm also not a blubbering idiot, contrary to your experience on the phone that day. The earpiece is fixed. And yes, I grew up with pets.

3 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

T'es bien dans ta peau, he? I agree, Peggy.
I enjoyed listening to your conversation w/ Kari yesterday. You sound happy.
-Jonathan
Oh, and thanks for the mention on your blog the other day. It's definitely the LORD's hand keeping us afloat in our adventures ;)

Nicole said...

Great post and totally relatable!

Nicole said...

So, I just stupidly posted a reply to your comment on the movie list to my blog, which you will probably never see, so I wanted to let you know that, sadly, the only Molly Ringwald movie I have seen is The Breakfast Club, which made the list, and I haven't seen Beverly Hills Cop or License to Drive. I shall add them to my list!

Also, thanks for the compliment on the crayon photo - it was very sweet. And made me feel so good! x