Friday, April 07, 2006

Granny, the Energizer Bunny

Yesterday, my grandma turned 85 years old! So we partied it up!

My grandmother usually goes to her room around 9:30 or 10 p.m. to read and then go to sleep. But not the night before her birthday...she stayed up until 11:00, so my plan to decorate the kitchen to surprise her was delayed for quite awhile. What a wild woman she is! But she finally went to bed and she loved the decorated kitchen (and her "Birthday Girl" crown).


Surprise!

The day before, Wednesday, I invited her neighbors that take great care of her (and always bring really good food) to have dinner with us the next night for her birthday...this was also a surprise. So I went to one of the neighbors' houses, and their daughter, Lauren, answered. She's 13, and doesn't know me well at all. So I asked if her parents were home and she said no...then I heard her dad's voice, coming from what sounded like the roof. So I told her I could hear him trying to get my attention. She didn't hear it. But he kept saying, "Hello?" yet I couldn't see him! So Lauren (who is on the phone while she's answered the door) starts looking at me like I'm a crazy person (which I'm wondering if I am, since she can't hear the voice). She closes the door and as I'm leaving, I finally see David, talking to me through one of the windows...I knew I wasn't crazy!

The next night when the family came for dinner they told me that Lauren had stayed on the phone in case I was in fact crazy, and she bolted the door after I left! Turns out she didn't know her father was home and she really didn't hear him. Wow. She thought I was schizophrenic!

Anyway, the neighbors did come over and surprise Grandma--she was really excited!

It didn't matter that she was opening gifts, my 18 year old cat wasn't going to get off her lap!


Grandma's surprise party

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice Peggy, I am verry proud of you, Johnny!