Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Screening letter rant.

So, I finally re-submitted my Human Subjects application.

To review: I had submitted a "Certificate of Exemption" to Human Subjects for my dissertation research per my advisor. An Exemption basically says that my research either doesn't use, or so minimally uses, humans that the study really shouldn't have to undergo the Human Subjects scrutiny that most studies do.

I was told my study didn't qualify and to re-submit as a "Minimal Risk" application. So, I took my sweet time (because everyone else seems to be) and submitted a Minimal Risk application at the beginning of July.

Last Monday, I had an email from Human Subjects. And found out the reality of what I was dealing with.

I had a THREE page "Screening Letter" waiting for me. The letter said, "Ms. Itschner, your proposal sucks. Re-do it. Sincerely, Your Enemies in Research" And then listed all the things that I should specifically re-do.

Okay, it didn't really say that.

It did say that there were 12 things I needed to revise, add, remove, or otherwise change. And I FLIPPED the crap out. I hollered for 30 minutes at Jesse about quitting the program and how ridiculous these people were and if I suck so much, why was I even admitted to this program.

Then I contacted my peer mentor from when I started the program who graduated last year. She assured me that EVERYONE gets this letter. She did have an Exemption and got a 2 pager. She's known people who got 6 page letters. She's known people who have had their entire theoretical framework questioned.

Then I felt better.

1 comment:

Senegal Daily said...

Wow. That's crazy! I'm glad you were able to talk to someone who could explain that everyone gets them - but incredibly frustrating still, I'm sure!