Wednesday, July 06, 2011

I'm one of them.

For approximately 5 years, I sought after a full-time student services position in Seattle. Beginning in 2005, I went on the hunt while planning to move to Seattle for graduate school. My UW employment search shows that I have applied for 162 jobs at the UW since July 2005. Of course that doesn't count the many jobs that I applied for at Seattle metro colleges.

For those 5 years, I networked like the schmoozer I wanted to be. I longed to be "one of them"--the Seattle higher education community. I thought how lucky they were to have a dream job in a dream city.

But let me tell you. The Seattle higher ed community is a hard nut to crack. I should know.

I had an assistantship where I worked part-time coordinating admissions for a graduate program at the UW. I had an internship with another grad program, and a temporary advising assignment at a community college.

Despite these feet in the door, the full-time permanent opportunity remained elusive. I went on 26-ish interviews after that assistantship. I finished 2nd 5 times. Are you freaking kidding me, Seattle.

Do you know how stressful it is to live in one of the most expensive US cities on a part-time salary and pay for grad school? No wonder my sanity remained far from me during those 5 years...I would have stayed away from myself if I could have.

Until...

In September 2010, I was offered an advising position at North Seattle Community College. For a job I did NOT apply for. How's that for irony?

And I have realized...now I'm one of them. Part of that community. I go to internship fairs now, to RECRUIT an intern for our office. I am schmoozed by grad students who are either seeking internships or jobs. I go to conferences where the people I used to schmooze are now colleagues, where I am even teaching them something new.

I am so grateful to be on this end of things. It took 5 years, but I love to get up in the morning and go to a job where I am able to work with students and develop professionally. And let's face it, the fact that I have a steady paycheck that's severely higher than anything I made in Texas makes cracking that nut worth all 1,825 days of insanity.

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

That's awesome, Pegs!! 1) Congratulations, 2) Very cool, 3) It's great that you remember how hard it was. I'm sure the applicants appreciate your compassion!

Erin said...

Yay for you! How far you've come, you little shmoozer, you.