Wednesday, February 16, 2011

In our own weird way, we work.

First of all, in regards to my last post, SBS has NOTHING to do with Valentine's Day. That was the clearly missed point of saying "In honor of the upcoming Valentine's Day."

This post, however, has everything to do with Valentine's Day. That fateful day when Irony stabbed me in the back and made me pay.

As the tale goes...

Jesse and I decided to celebrate on Saturday because Mondays are bad for us with school and work, etc. So on Saturday, we had a truly lovely day. He actually refrained from studying and we just spent the day together, capped with a fabulous dinner at one of his favorite restaurants, 13 Coins, where we both enjoyed the Valentine's Prime Rib Special.

He ordered flowers, but bless his heart...he ordered them on Saturday and the florist laughed in his face (or rather over the phone) at the idea that they would arrive on Monday. "More like Tuesday, fool."

So, Monday arrives, and I should know myself (and Jesse) better than this after nearly 3 years. I should know that no matter how lovely Saturday was, I want something on Monday. Period. Yep, I'm that girl. I also should know that if I tell Jesse that Saturday is fine and don't need anything on Monday, that he will take my word for it.

Monday night arrives, and not even a phone call from that yahoo. Now, c'mon.

So, I get all bent out of shape and pouty. "Why couldn't you just call me?" "Why couldn't you have ordered the flowers earlier?" Why, why, why. Pout, pout, pout.

Then, Irony showed up and stabbed me in the back.

Jesse's Valentine's gift, which I had bought the week before, was sitting in its bag in the back of my closet. Unwrapped, forgotten.

Oh selfish, selfish girly girl on Valentine's Day. While I was pouting, Jesse never once asked where his gift was.

I howled with laughter while he looked at me like I had 3 heads. When I finally calmed down enough, I went to the closet, pulled out the bag, and threw it on the bed.

He opened the bag and pulled out the card. That I had not signed. Or put in the envelope. He said, "But the card's not even in the envelope." I snatched the card, shoved it in the envelope, and tossed back to him. "Here."

He opened the card, which had a wiry little dog and nasty looking cat tangled in an awkward embrace on the front.

The card, in a most fitting way, read: "In our own weird way, we work."

4 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

That's hysterical. I think on some level, we're all 'that' girl... but you managed to capture it so well int his post. I love your writing, Pegs.

Swiftyjess said...

Let's catch up soon - I have the best V Day story for you about still being "that" girl after all of this time.
And, I almost got into the wrong car on Tuesday! I thought of you!

mrs. darling said...

um, this is the best valentine's story ever. my favorite part is you throwing his gift on the bed, the card not even in the envelope! that sounds like something i would do.

just now i got upset at chad, and i have NO idea why other than because i am crazy. he asked what was wrong and i said, "you didn't even offer me any of your supper!" he stared at me like i was insane and said, "well, actually i did and you said no. did you want any?" me-"no! and that's not the point!"

yeah, women are nuts.

Marcy said...

I flippin' LOVE 13 coins!!!!!! Ok, I just had to get that out there....now I can read the rest of your post.