Monday, March 26, 2007

Seattle Culture

So, a little elaboration on my Seattle experience. The place is like a foreign country with the same language.

Did you know?

1. Carrying an umbrella sends off sirens that you're a tourist. Seattleites simply have a lightweight, midweight and heavyweight jacket with a hood conveniently attached. I was corrected on proper umbrella use twice. Gina laughed in my face when I used one from the car to the grocery store entrance.

2. Taking the bus is something everyone does. There was a good mix of homeless, students, professionals and the elderly hitching a ride on the 120 to downtown. The reason, I'm guessing, is the nightmare that parking presents at 9 out of 10 places you want to go. Incidentally, I managed to take the bus on 3 separate occasions and successfully landed where I wanted each time. And the very first time involved a TRANSFER...I can hear all of you saying, "Oooohhhh" like little kids.

3. Mount Rainier is beautiful, or so I've heard. The cloud cover remained constant throughout my weeklong stay (I did get to see the Olympic Mountains, as you saw in the pictures). Interesting to note, however, that it rains more annually in Houston than Seattle.

4. Seattleites think 80 degrees is a heatwave.

5. There are often codes to get into the restroom at public places.

6. "Mother-in-law" spaces refer to apartments or rooms for rent in which the renter will live in the same house as the landlord.

7. Politeness and courtesy are expected. Friendliness (especially with the word "y'all" attached) gets you a "Who is the crazy person?" look.

8. There are neighborhoods, each with its own distinct personality, throughout the city. It nearly feels like several small towns that just connect at the city limits. My favorites were Greenlake, Wallingford and Alki.

9. Everyone has a dog. And everyone jogs. Usually those two go together at one of the wonderful hiking trails in the city.

10. Everyone wears fleece, jeans and a pair of shoes from REI. This is what I have decided to call GranolaWear. I love GranolaWear...it suits me far more than the "Ever cute, Ever uncomfortable" style of North Texas.

Bonus: So I may have misspoken when I said the language was the same. Can you pronounce these towns, all located within an hour of Seattle?
A. Snohomish
B. Issaquah
C.Puyallup

And my personal favorite, the town my boss grew up in, Wala Wala.

7 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

I want to wear GranolaWear!! I am so jealous, on many counts. I'd want to discover the food culture! Yum. Seafood, coffee, and the fresh markets.

ps - in all your free time, consider writing travel articles on Seattle. You have fresh thoughts and ideas that will fade! Trust me.

Anonymous said...

Wala wala...wow- my heart flutters at the wonderful utterings of this far off land! And the granola wear? I am not quite grapsing the concept, but that's okay. I'll pretend as I picture people smelling of oats and honey with a touch of strawberries! It's SPRING!!! I love you...

allie :) <><

Tim & Kate Horton said...

Seriously, I met a guy today who was Wala Wala. Love Ya Pegs!

Anonymous said...

I hate to break it to you, but it's Walla Walla...
:-)
Glad you had fun and thank you for a fun write-up on the city I live in. :-)
I think we don't bother carrying an umbrella because it just rains anyway. That, and when it does rain it's usually at a lateral point getting us wet even when we do have an umbrella.

Anonymous said...

p.s. I realize my comment sounds sarcastic. I am not being sarcastic - I did enjoy your write up. :-)

mrs. darling said...

My roommate at MLC was very "granola." She never shaved anything and bathing was a chore. Please don't become like her. If you do I will make fun of you and your hairy pits.

Peggy said...

i will not be "that" kind of granola. i mean, dressing like i just came from hiking even if i didn't. i shave the pits everyday and will continue until i shall die.