Thursday, July 14, 2005

Good reads...

Well, I'm picture-less right now...need to start carrying my camera around again, because there are moments I've really wished I had it. Mais, c'est la vie, n'est pas?

Anyway, Chrissy is off in Hawaii...tomorrow she will be presenting her research at the International Nursing Conference at 12:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. CST.

In other news, I have had some great reads lately and wanted to share them with my fellow readers...I know I'm just about the last person on the face of the earth to read "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller, but if you haven't read it, GO GET A COPY. It's incredible...unabashedly honest. I was amazed, and have started reading it again. I really think he read my journal, then wrote the book and slapped his name on the cover...just kidding. He also has out "Searching for God Knows What" and "Through Painted Deserts" will be out later this year (November, I think).

I'm also a new fan of Philip Yancey. Suggested titles are: Soul Survivor, Disappointment with God, and How to Reach the Invisible God. I think I like honest authors...Ones who aren't trying to be so overtly spiritual that they can't admit their real thoughts and stuff. Go get a Yancey book when you get the Miller book(s).

In addition, my wonderful friend Katy has gotten me on a new kick...writing the "Top 10" for the day...ten things I'm thankful for. I've determined the list can change drastically within 24 hours, so it's really fun to see what I'm thankful for at a given moment. This could also be titled "How God is Good," etc. The brilliant thing is, if you do it often, you can be "shallow" without feeling guilty because you have many more opportunities to impress people with your deep thoughts. So without further adieu, here are my top 10 for today:

1. Blogs to share in one fell swoop what's going on, w/o writing a billion emails that everyone knows you copied and pasted and put their name at the beginning anyway.
2. Friends in other cultures that I get to experience through them (yay for Kari, Chrissy and Christine!).
3. Real unconditional love, not just people who say they do
4. Chai tea latte
5. Pants--even if I can't fit in them at the moment!
6. Grandmas
7. Technology--I can talk to anyone anywhere!
8. The happiness of friends
9. The availability of a cushy chair at Barnes & Noble
10.Creativity

No comments: