Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The return to college...

A couple of weekends ago, I visited my alma mater, Ouachita Baptist University, for homecoming weekend. It was my first time to return since I graduated in 2001. A group of girls was headed up so I hopped in the car and went up to Arkansas. Here are a few of us at the bed & breakfast we stayed at.

Reunited! Jodi, me, Bethany, and Laura

The staircase at our bed & breakfast

The beautiful downstairs lobby of our bed & breakfast

Strolling onto campus for the first time...

This is the pimp mobile that shuttled us back to our car after the homecoming football game. It was-ahem-unique.
I got to see my good friend Rick for the first time in a few years! He made the drive from Little Rock for a little trip down memory lane.

The golden tiger (we are the Ouachita Tigers). Note the lack of a tail. It's this big "thing" on campus...where is the tail? Who stole the tail? Rumor has it the tail was taken by some rebels from the university across the street-Henderson State.

Another sweet reunion! Bill & Evelyn, my regional leaders from West Africa were there as well! It was a complete surprise to run into them! All of their grandchildren went to OBU as well, one of whom was a good friend of mine and someone who greatly influenced my initial interest in going to Africa.


Berry Chapel, in Berry Bible Building...the site of MANY of my classes as a Christian counseling major.

Part of the OBU Homecoming tradition is Tiger Tunes, a variety show which different clubs on campus participate. Basically, each club chooses a theme (soccer moms, Baptists, Egyptians, monsters, prisoners, etc.) and creates a story using songs with "modified" lyrics. It's my favorite part of Homecoming! I participated with Campus Ministries one year when I was a student, and we won second (totally should've been first).


Sifting through old memories, scrapbooks, letters, etc...

Lauren's precious baby girl, Addison, and I became fast friends...

Burger Barn in Arkadelphia
Bethany, Jodi, Laura, Leigh, me, and Lauren

3 comments:

Liz said...

Love the Burger Barn!! Arkadelphia has changed so much. Even from when I was there to when you were there. And then so much more since. I remember first pulling up to my campus visit as a senior. Boy things were different. Ah, the memories!

Kate Borders said...

How fun! Makes me miss my college people...I haven't been to any of my homecoming events :(

The B&B looks adorable - glad you had a good time!

Luke and Courtney Brewer said...

How fun! I'm so jealous!! I wish I could've gone to Arkadoo for homecoming! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. :-)